Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warslow Festival Race

Warslow Festival Race

Anyone ever done this? I'm staying at my Mother in law's in Buxton and have entered this for the first time. To be run on Saturday 6th July for the bargin price of a fiver. Looks like a bag of climbing is involved.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I haven't done it before, but I've been contemplating doing it this year. As I see it, the Pro's and Con's are:

Pro's:
    A nice day out in an area I am only slightly familiar with.
    It's been 4 months since I last raced, due to injury.
    Vegetarian chilli and samosas.
    It would give MattPo another M60 to beat.

Con's:
    It's a long cycle ride from the nearest railway station.
    There's a race just 4 days later, only 3 miles from where I live, which I have already entered.
    It's on limestone.
    I would finish behind MattPo in the M60's.

So I will probably wait until the entry limit is reached and then regret not entering.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 27-06-2019 at 09:59 PM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I've done it a couple of times. It's a great race with some proper hills. It's like the best of a white peak race mixed with a bit of Longmynd.

Enjoy

I did it last year and it is a tough little race. Tindersticks was there, ticking it off, and said he enjoyed it. Some really steep ascents/descents which did for my hammys trying to race people half my age downhill! A great atmosphere in and around the village hall post race only slightly spoiled by an England World Cup match on a big screen!
    Won't be there this year as unfortunately I am under orders to attend a wedding.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Haven't run this race (yet) but kudos to the RO whose words of encouragement to a novice fellrunner many moons ago helped me on my way. It was going to be my first fell race but I opted for the shorter Hathersage instead. Keep meaning to do it every year, but this year it's the day before Great Hucklow and my legs haven't got both in them.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I haven't done it before, but I've been contemplating doing it this year. As I see it, the Pro's and Con's are:

Pro's:
    A nice day out in an area I am only slightly familiar with.
    It's been 4 months since I last raced, due to injury.
    Vegetarian chilli and samosas.
    It would give MattPo another M60 to beat.

Con's:
    It's a long cycle ride from the nearest railway station.
    There's a race just 4 days later, only 3 miles from where I live, which I have already entered.
    It's on limestone.
    I would finish behind MattPo in the M60's.

So I will probably wait until the entry limit is reached and then regret not entering.

Hope to see you there, whether you beat me or not! I'll be wearing an Otley AC vest. And a beer festival, but I will be driving.

Another great Warslow Beer Festival fell race. Thank you to Rick and co for organising. 👍🏻
    Will Meredith - Pennine

Beast of a race, but I really enjoyed it. Beer and food after, What's not to like? Any results yet?

After a 4 year gap the Warslow Beer Festival Fell Race is back on, having being resurrected by Staffordshire Moorlands AC and in conjunction with the beer festival and vintage car show. I think it is the toughest White Peak summer race by far.

Not advertised in the FRA Calendar this year but Sat 1st July is the date.

The last time I did it, in 2018, I was first M50 and my prize was beer festival vouchers, some of which I had to give away as I was driving. This year I'm going to camp there, not that I'm expecting to win any vouchers!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog