Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphene shoes - hype?

Graphene shoes - hype?

Anyone had any experiences to share of using the inov-8 graphene added shoes yet? Are they what they're cracked up to be or do they ...erm..crack-up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_rhRbRF0fM
    Am Yisrael Chai

They're not for sale to the public yet, they were pre-order only - think I read mid July is when deliveries start, but the Mudclaw has now been delayed to August sometime due to quality issues.

Try asking Nicky Spinks, she had a good run-out with them last weekend ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post
    They're not for sale to the public yet, they were pre-order only - think I read mid July is when deliveries start, but the Mudclaw has now been delayed to August sometime due to quality issues.

Try asking Nicky Spinks, she had a good run-out with them last weekend ;-)
    Thanks. Mind you, once they've finished fettling with the new shoes, they're likely to be out of my acceptable price range, until the following season's change of colour anyroad.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Someone mentioned them in another thread and had a potential debunk.
    Since then I've heard grapheme has been added to MY tyres for 4 years or so and makes an apreciable difference in improving wear. A friend who works in product design for a sports equipment company also says graphene addition is generally rated.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Someone mentioned them in another thread and had a potential debunk.
    Since then I've heard grapheme has been added to MY tyres for 4 years or so and makes an apreciable difference in improving wear. A friend who works in product design for a sports equipment company also says graphene addition is generally rated.
    I wonder if there are any negative environmental effects? Will its longevity potentially be a flaw for mother nature - rather like plastics? Great if it could be recycled readily.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post

;-)
    Innovte...quality issues..never

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I wonder if there are any negative environmental effects? Will its longevity potentially be a flaw for mother nature - rather like plastics? Great if it could be recycled readily.
    what happens to your used and discarded fell shoes currently? are they clogging up waterways somewhere or choking dolphins? if the graphene ones last longer won't that improve the situation by reducing the number of used pairs being thrown away?

if we had a list of the biggest dangers to our planet (environmentally, ecologically, economically, politically, societally, or from any valid measure of quality of life) do we think the relative biodegradeability of a few fell running shoes is going to be high up the list?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I'm not sure if making a shoe that lasts longer makes good business sense but this is inov8 after all so I'm sure they will fall apart somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    what happens to your used and discarded fell shoes currently? are they clogging up waterways somewhere or choking dolphins? if the graphene ones last longer won't that improve the situation by reducing the number of used pairs being thrown away?

if we had a list of the biggest dangers to our planet (environmentally, ecologically, economically, politically, societally, or from any valid measure of quality of life) do we think the relative biodegradeability of a few fell running shoes is going to be high up the list?
    Yes, we could take that attitude - Why bother, eh? After all, a mere 20 billion shoes (including trainers) manufactured each year are hardly going to have an environmental impact, are they? It's a none subject. Hardly worth a mention.

The fact that an item may be manufactured with a particular innovative material that helps it last a bit longer (and remember most manufactures build in some form of obsolescence to ensure we keep buying replacements), but can't then be recycled and used elsewhere, means it inevitably gets dumped as rubbish. And rubbish becomes everyone's problem eventually, which leads right back to, and ticks all of those boxes, as you say "(environmentally, ecologically, economically, politically, societally, or from any valid measure of quality of life)". Moreover, it's the prevailing disposable commodity attitude of many manufacturers that has got us into this polluted mess in the first place. The 'change' starts with each one of us, in small ways...

https://theshoeindustry.weebly.com/e...al-impact.html
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rbon-footprint
    Am Yisrael Chai

Buy less stuff. Throw less stuff away. Recycle where possible. Do your bit. No one would disagree with that. But I can’t see that graphene in the soles will make a huge difference to shoe waste vs recycling, or the environment for that matter. I’m sure there are a thousand ways you could make much more of a positive impact than this particular concern.