Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fell Running results data

Fell Running results data

...base
    Blair Garrett (CVFR) has put together a neat little web app in which you can search peoples' fell race results. BAsed on the FRA results pages (I guess) this is similar to the sortable results the SHR and Hayfield fell races website use - and something I've thought would have been nice for the FRA results site for a while.

https://blairg.github.io/fellrace-finder/

It also includes a few interesting statistics (category position, % time of winner, club position).

There will be bugs (shortening/different spellings of names, changes of club etc. I imagine) but it looks an interesting and fun device
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

That's an interesting tool. It coped with my club change perfectly. A top 80% finish looks impressive until you realise it really means bottom 20%. You wouldn't have that problem, ba-ba.

I think it is mainly sorted by name, not club.
    An errant 'Nicholas Barber' has crept into my results (lowering my average the bugger!), but not the usual suspect (Nick Barber from Todmorden)

It's a decent service. Not wanting to put a negative on it at all (after all, it's free!), but a lot of races missing. Though i suppose it's only as good as the data it can find off the internet.

Super Moderator
    It’s great. I couldn’t find myself. I wouldn’t want folk knowing how crap I am

Does it pick up the results on the FRA website that are on PDF files for example, ie, are links on the results page rather than viewable directly? Either way, well done Blair.

I don't know but I imagine for the ease of a scraping algorithm/script (I think I just made that phrase up) it would just be results in the FRA results format, otherwise there'd be a lot of manual donkeywork.

A nice little tool. As others above have suggested looks like it is just parsing data out of the results that are directly on the FRA results page. I imagine parsing the data from the .pdf results would be a much bigger task given the lack of consistency and number of different templates that are used.

I've seen a similar tool for run britain rankings for those that dare run on the roads.

The fell running community and number of people likely to use this is probably small enough, but I think scraping data like this is generally discouraged due to the load it can place on the bandwidth of the website.

Every time I find myself on the Scottish Hill Runners site I always think how good the sorting/searching functions are and how complete the database is!

yes the SHR site is good.
    Powerof10 (and to a lesser extent runbritain) are very good for road/track/XC. There was a time fell race results were put on powerof10 though this appears to have stopped in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    yes the SHR site is good.
    Powerof10 (and to a lesser extent runbritain) are very good for road/track/XC. There was a time fell race results were put on powerof10 though this appears to have stopped in 2014.
    This is a shame... my run britain handicap declines through the summer months when I don't do any races which they count. Then when the winter xc and relays comes around it improves again...