Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Attempt on 21st July...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
    One final request - we have a few different versions of the GPX route but none seem perfect. Does anyone have any further suggestions on this?
    Err, a map and compass maybe?

Given that I suggested a map (but not the compass) a while ago I'll +1 Geoff's suggestion.

The BGR isn't a route on which to blindly follow a GPX trace "perfect" or otherwise.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Thanks, got a map and a compass.

No one on here also believe in the benefits of GPX?

at the very least you need the GPX to be for anticlock
    cos quite a few of the ascents/descents are different/non-ideal/dangerous if you tried following a clockwise GPX backwards
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
    Thanks, got a map and a compass.

No one on here also believe in the benefits of GPX?
    A lot of the Round you don't need micro-navigation, in fact you just need to point yourself in the right sort of direction and away you go. Setting a compass to the nearest 10deg is more than good enough for much of the Round - you aren't going to be able to run to a greater degree of accuracy than that. Also most of the route is on good paths, with a few exceptions you aren't going to be using any form of navigational aid. Even on those parts that aren't used by walkers the route is well worn.

A set of Mk 1 eyeballs is more use than blindly following a GPX. An example going anti-clockwise would be finding the top of the rakes on Bowfell, if the GPX is slightly wrong then you will be dropping onto some serious ground - there's probably a small cairn there now.

I'm not against using GPS devices, I just think that you are better keeping your heads up and looking out for stuff. A set of waypoints for places like the above along with a proximity beep would be more useful than a complete track.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

I have been wondering if Lucian is just trolling this board?

Using a GPX on the BG is not in keeping at all and there have been some digs at recent “interesting” debates on here

Good luck. Anticlockwise is a good choice for a morning start. Start aiming to finish but be ready to jack it in if it proves to be beyond you. It'll be an adventure and a learning experience either way!

Must admit I thought this was some sort of trolling attempt, but maybe I shouldn't be so cynical.

Some very good advice here from Bob and others, blindly following a .gpx file will get you into all sorts of bother, particularly if you've just reversed a CW track. Have a good look at the map and work out how you're going to climb Scafell and get from there to Scafell Pike, please don't try and downclimb Broad Stand under any circumstances. The safest way for you to go will be via Foxes Tarn. From the summit follow a bearing of about 35 degrees for about 200 metres, you should see a well-defined path dropping down to your right, bearing about 145. This will take you down to Foxes Tarn and the head of gully. Once you've descended to the bottom, slog back up to Mickledore and onwards to Scafell Pike.

Good luck. I hope the weather is kind to you.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

This sound advice is all very well but I dont know why youre bothering. Its a troll, hes trying to get a reaction and it looks like he got one!

Thank you again for the comments.

We will be starting at 9am tomorrow morning from Moot Hall.

Any support en route would be much appreciated if anyone fancies a run.