Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof jacket

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Waterproof jacket

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this, so please be gentle and apologies if this question has already been asked!

I have entered a half ironman in the Lakes for the end of September (the run is up and down Fairfield). I have done a couple of short fell races on the NY Moors but I'm lacking in kit (and advice).

As a seasoned walker, I have the proper jacket, fully taped seams, Gortex, etc. but it is too bulky for an 18l rucksack.

What are the recommendations for a jacket that's waterproof, has fully taped seams (requirement for the half IM) but does pack away into something resembling small?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Mark.

There are millions, it would be usefull if you gave an idea of how much you are prepared to pay. The really good ones are getting up towards £200.

i suggest go on pete bland website and check out what they sell - Inov8, OMM and Montain all do good race weight waterproof jackets designed for fell running. there will be some discounts available on the internet but i always find pete bland reliable and great to deal with from a customer service point of view.

in fact, i would give them a ring and they'll give you some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    There are millions, it would be usefull if you gave an idea of how much you are prepared to pay. The really good ones are getting up towards £200.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Omm kamleika fits the bill and usually available cheap if you shop around

If you're in the NYM's maybe join Esk Valley fell club on a few training sessions and see what they use? http://www.eskvalleyfellclub.org/

I have light Inov8 waterproof for clement weather, and a heavier GoreTex Haglofs for nasty/winter weather. End of September could be all kinds of weather so maybe a more wintery jacket? If you've got an 18L pack though you could layer up for warmth and have a lighter jacket over the top for waterproofing.

Sportsshoes.com can also be handy for picking up an end-of-line bargain (my expensive haglofs came down from £250 to about £130 in an end of line sale).
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Thanks for the info, everyone, it's certainly food for thought.

As for cost, preferably below the £200 mark!

This is a cheaper one that passes kit check, I have one and have had no problems with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dare-2b-Exu.../dp/B06ZZQLCJJ

Amazon Price: £44.66 - £53.54

If you want to be dry in the worst weather, don't mind what you look like and have room, these are very waterproof, every gortex jacket I've ever had regardless or price has wetted out eventually
    https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk...outdry&start=2

What's the event please? Sounds interesting, I'm aware of the Helvellyn tri but haven't heard of one over Fairfield and I don't seem to be able to find it online.
    Thanks.

It's called the Wasdale X, Mark.

http://wasdalex.co.uk/