Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprained ankle

Sorry to hear about your injury Mr Sloth. I concur with others..6 months is what it takes. I severly knacked my ankle a few years back and it took six months to get right. The legacy is
    1. An unstable ankle so I race in a brace now...no problem.
    2. Developing arthritis. Yes it hurts. Yes it was worth it!

Best medicine = patience.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Frankly, we expect too much of medicine. Wear and tear is just part of life. Don't overmedicalise stuff!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Was due to have my physio appointment last Wednesday, but booked a last minute holiday. Spoke to them to rearrange, and luckily they had a cancellation....they can fit me in on September 14th
    As things stand, my ankle still looks pretty much the same, but I'm trying to up the non-impact cardio and balance work. I plan to move onto more intensive balance/strengthening exercises over the next couple of months. This is helping keep the self pity at bay, and with it the over indulgence in food and drink.
    As for running, well, I broke into a trot on the beach chasing one of the kids and regretted it five steps later.
    I'm hoping to get in some Park-runs this side of Christmas - probably not back on the fells though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Sorry to hear about your injury Mr Sloth. I concur with others..6 months is what it takes. I severly knacked my ankle a few years back and it took six months to get right. The legacy is
    1. An unstable ankle so I race in a brace now...no problem.
    2. Developing arthritis. Yes it hurts. Yes it was worth it!

Best medicine = patience.
    Can I ask what brace you use? I've seen varying advice regarding strapping and braces and the benefits/drawbacks, and it's something I'm toying with.

Yes. I use a Swiss-O. Used aircast for awhile but they are not durable. The swiss-o lace up brace fits into shoe easily and my current one has done 2 full seasons. Basically fit and forget. Most of the early pain is due to bone bruising which takes 6-8 weeks to resolve. Rest is vital. Then it's all about maintaining stability to prevent recurrence. Get on a wobble board early doors to regain proprioception once the bruising has resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsloth View Post
    Well that's cheered me up no end 😋
    Sorry to hear about your injury Mountainsloth. I also had an ankle injury at the end of last year.

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...hlight=mossdog

I was off for the best part of 4 months. Still building up again since a return to running in April. I too was really concerned about losing fitness and the impact on my mental wellbeing through a lack of running! Best advice I can think of is to try and access indoor rowing, if you're injury is up to it. It seems to be one of the most effective means to maintain cardio fitness, and to genuinely give your body a proper full-on work-out (and thereby keep the weight off, if that's a concern). I think many local gyms have a a rowing machine tucked away somewhere. All the best.
    Am Yisrael Chai

The other good way is by joining a spin class. I found I could do this with a poorly ankle and still get a good sweat on.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Thanks again for the input.
    I have managed to get in the gym, but anything involving impact is a no-go. It's a strange injury - I don't seem to have the issues with balance/weakness as such, but the ankle bone is still very tender and, more importantly, any kind of impact at the toe-end results in pain on top and within the ankle. The swelling is still as bad as ever - it never really bruised.
    Running still seems a long way off.

For some reason, the picture of your in jury did not show...until today!
    The position of that swelling looks like a high ankle sprain i.e the anterior distal tibiofibular ligament rather than the much more commonly injured but lower anterior talofibular ligament. Get your physio to check for that.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

If there was a significant body rotation over a fixed foot, this can cause the high ankle or syndesmotic sprain. Rehab can take longer.
    I guess you are 4-5 weeks out from injury now? Dont delay seeing a physio. They can really help get you back faster.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth