Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frexit!

Do we think the issue of people entering races without sufficient mountain-craft is a new thing?

FRA stance is imminent according to the FRA homepage, so there can be 'an informed debate' (lol) at the AGM in mid-august.
    I got wind of a proposal at the weekend and I what I heard matches what I've been saying all along, but I was a bit pissed at the time (fell runner weddings hey...). All I can say is I'm glad I chose this last few months to leave faceache and twatter as the continual level of "debate" would have just irritated me and I've got a thesis to do that to me!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Interesting that the OMM have published a comprehensive report on the 'debate', and our forum is credited as the beginnings... "a muted start with some general discussion"

As the topic originator for that thread, i apologise for kicking off this whole sorry mess...!

Interesting that they lay out all the pro and against points, then go onto state that their rules won't change, as 'navigation is an integral part of the history and skill of the sport" or something similar.

Banned
    WHAT?

Your telling me that inexperienced people take part in fell running which is above and beyond their capability?

SHOCKED AND STUNNED!!!

Master
    I thought it had been explicitly stated that it would not be discussed at the AGM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Interesting that the OMM have published a comprehensive report on the 'debate',..

Thank you for highlighting this balanced piece (and naturally I agree with its conclusions about the nature of fellrunning) which gives the impression that the writer actually understands the issues; unlike virtually every facebook post on the subject.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 30-07-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Rather saddened and angered (although not in the least surprised) to see a few people making personal criticisms of Lakes runners/clubs, in particular Ambleside, for being "against outsiders".

Completely untrue. When I started, Ambleside were one of the clubs who were most welcoming in offering me membership (whilst living 160 miles away), to allow me to feel part of a club and community when I raced.

I eventually joined DPFR who were just as welcoming, before deciding that I was actually better off at my local club, for the benefit of my running and training, and certainly nothing else.
    Last edited by Travs; 31-07-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Ste B has put a post on Facebook about different navigation courses you can go on.

I can use a map and compass but I’ve no idea how to do that bread crumb trail technolgy stuff.

Where is the course to learn how to do it? It sounds really exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    Ste B has put a post on Facebook about different navigation courses you can go on.

I can use a map and compass but I’ve no idea how to do that bread crumb trail technolgy stuff.

Where is the course to learn how to do it? It sounds really exciting.
    Hovis put one on - or maybe Warburtons?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    millipede that bread crump thing sounds ace. Imagine going out from the Lion of a Wednesday night and not getting lost in the mist? Actually it sounds crap. We might as well be road runners