Thread: Tds

Tds

Does anyone with experience of this race have any advice on how technical it really is underfoot and choice of footware?

I'm fairly small and light on my feet and have done a number of 50 milers, all using Nike Terra Kigers which have served me well, but I recently broke my foot and the combination of that and the additional distance and time on my feet in this race was making me wonder if I should go for a slightly more robust shoe.

I tried on some Hoka Evo Mafates which felt great on the treadmill (I was quite surprised as I've been a bit skeptical about maximal shoes) but I was concerned about how unweildy they'd be on more technical terrain.

Thoughts from those who've done the race?

I've done it in a pair of Hoka Stinson Evo with no issues if that gives you an idea.
    That was after the previous time when I set off in a pair of x-talons which was a big mistake.
    There are a few mildly technical bits and if it rains it will get muddy.
    But I'd definitely go for comfort over grip, if you can't have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I've done it in a pair of Hoka Stinson Evo with no issues if that gives you an idea.
    That was after the previous time when I set off in a pair of x-talons which was a big mistake.
    There are a few mildly technical bits and if it rains it will get muddy.
    But I'd definitely go for comfort over grip, if you can't have both.
    Thanks Wardy - that's helpful.
    Quite a jump from X-Talons to Hokas! Would you try it in a more 'middle ground' shoe in the future or do you think that the cushion of the Hokas is a real bonus? By way of reference, what would you wear for something like Lakeland 50?

My ultra career fizzled out a few years ago now and I think Hoka have moved on since the clown shoe days. So I'm sure you can do the research and find a well cushioned trail shoe that suits you.
    But to answer the question I did a bone dry Lakeland 50 and a wet UTMB in the same pair of Stinsons again with no problems at all.
    TDS has got some very long, fast easy angled descents on rocky ground. There is a massive difference in comfort and speed between bouncing your way down in well cushioned shoes and avoiding/feeling every single rock in thin shoes. I'm sure something 'middle ground' would be fine, but there is a reason Hokas got to be popular over there, they definitely did the job for me.
    Am very jealous, its a great race in some stunning scenery, just wished I'd taken more of it in at the time instead of being in 'race mode'. Only other advice I can give is use poles and keep eating. Oh and the climb back up out of Bourg St M is a swine in the heat of the afternoon, make sure you start up it with 2 full bottles.
    Quote Originally Posted by bena View Post
    Thanks Wardy - that's helpful.
    Quite a jump from X-Talons to Hokas! Would you try it in a more 'middle ground' shoe in the future or do you think that the cushion of the Hokas is a real bonus? By way of reference, what would you wear for something like Lakeland 50?

I can only echo Wardy's comments. The terrain of the TDS isn't that much different to the UTMB really, the route just has a couple of rocky terraces before Col du Joly that are chained to make the descent (or ascent I suppose) that much easier.

I did a wet UTMB in Brooks Cascadias and lost six toenails (all on one foot ) then in the following years a bone dry CCC and TDS in New Balance Leadvilles without a single blister or problem. I think the focus has to be on comfort, but if you have wet weather be prepared for sludgy and slippy trails.

And yes, that f***ing climb out of Bourg St Maurice resulted in a massive sense of humour failure. You lose a lot of altitude coming down to Seez and then to B St Maurice, it was like an inferno in the valley. It's then a 6,000ft climb in the heat of the day, I died a thousand deaths before I reached the fort at the top.

Steve Rhodes asked me for advice on how to tackle this climb and I had nothing useful to tell him other than to be brave
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Thanks gents, that's really helpful.

I'm armed with a pair of Hokas (EVO Mafates) which should give me the cushion but also seem to be a bit more responsive and less wallowy than their shoes that I have tried in the past. I'm almost looking forward to this race.