Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new mountain

Master

A new mountain

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/20...now-go-find-it

There are now 446 summits in England and wales, assuming we can trust the use of satellite's and GPs in measuring the height
    The older I get the Faster I was

I'm more than happy to stick with the original George Bridge's Tables which he published in 1973. He listed 408 tops over 2,000 feet of which 248 were separate mountains.Had great some great days ticking them all off between Jan 82 and Sept 85. The most awkward ones were Yes Tor and High Whillays on Dartmoor.I think it was the furthest I've ever traveled for less than an hours run! I remember staying B&B at The Plume of Feathers in Oakhampton but that's another story!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 11-08-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Checked dates
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I'm more than happy to stick with the original George Bridge's Tables which he published in 1973. He listed 408 tops over 2,000 feet of which 248 were separate mountains.Had great some great days ticking them all off between Jan 82 and Sept 85. The most awkward ones were Yes Tor and High Whillays on Dartmoor.I think it was the furthest I've ever traveled for less than an hours run! I remember staying B&B at The Plume of Feathers in Oakhampton but that's another story!
    I will stick with the Nuttalls 1989/90 list of individual 2,000 foot mountain summits + the Updates, not much can do about deleted ones other than treat them as a bonus outing

I have stayed at the Plume of Feathers but in Princetown when I ran the Dartmoor Discovery Race several years ago cracking race, as to Plume of feathers as said that is another story,

Nuttalls summits for me though
    Last edited by JohnK; 11-08-2018 at 09:50 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

But one less mountain in Wales, Fan y big (Brecon beacons) is no longer a mountain, but a hill

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/2...s_a_hill-71677

The fell racing/running community have 'known' this for ages...it is bypassed on the Brecon Beacons race route and is not a summitt on the South Wales Traverse. I always wondered why but this underlines it. Poor Fanny Big!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

As a mark of respect, me and my walking gang walked over Fan Y Big this weekend. S'funny, seems as high as ever!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    So your only a hill walker now Wheeze?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/20...now-go-find-it

There are now 446 summits in England and wales, assuming we can trust the use of satellite's and GPs in measuring the height
    There appears to be some considerable confusion over what this summit really is/where it is. The problem, I think, is that different authoritative sources refer to as different things. Bill Birkett gives it the title of "Little Lingy Hill" while OS maps think that "Little Lingy Hill" is the insignificant mossy lump a bit further the SW. Synge refers to it as "Iron Crag", but that title more properly belongs to the outcrop north of this "new" mountain.

Whatever you call it, the ground that was surveyed and that comprises the "new" Nuttall is shown on current OS maps as the 609m spot height at NY304339
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    As a mark of respect, me and my walking gang walked over Fan Y Big this weekend. S'funny, seems as high as ever!
    That's age mate, the older I become the taller and steeper the mountains feel!

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    So your only a hill walker now Wheeze?
    After 30 years of racing on the same (wonderful) hills, it is quite refreshing to appreciate them from a new perspective which walking gives. The other huge benefit is that my wonderful life partner enjoys coming with me so we get to share my love. Finally, the other members of the gang get a real kick out of it too. One of them has just been on a navigation course and to see her genuine surprise, wonder and enjoyment of taking a bearing in dense mist and following it to an intended location was a joy to behold. So I'm not just a fell runner now but a fell walker too! Whats not to like?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth