Thread: Fell shoes

Fell shoes

Hi all,

Just wondered what a good shoe would be in a rocky situation? I assume that the Inov8 Mudclaw is more for the wet stuff? I tried Go Outdoors for advice but they weren't helpful.

I recently did the Northumberlad Coastal Run and my Hoka One One trainers were just a little slippy on rocks and I have a run up Fairfield coming up.

I've heard of Inov8, Salomon and La Sportiva; is there anything else that ticks the right boxes?

Thanks in advance.

GoOutdoors are useless. Actually if you know exactly what you want and they have them, then it's ok (they do a decent range of La Sportiva for example), but don't bank on them for any advice, most members of staff there are students and teenagers.

Nothing really guaranteed to stick on wet rock. I note that the event you're doing is a triathlon.... if you intend to do further escapes into the fells, then I'd go for Mudclaws, La Sportiva Mutants, or my personal fave, VJ Irocks. You're going up Fairfield via Nab Scar...? Any of these would be more than suitable.

But if you preference is usually more standard "off road running" then you might be better with something that you can use on more trailly surfaces as well, something like La Sportiva Bushido (great shoe, not much cushioning) or another fave of mine, La Sportiva Ultra Raptor (lots more cushioning, built more like a normal trainer, plenty of grip, but wouldn't wear in a pure Fell Race).

Thanks for the reply, Travs.

What is the cushioning like for the shoes you recommend for fell racing? The Inov*s that I have (don't know the model but basic and I just use them for slightly muddy trails around Dalby) I found to be quite hard under foot in a fell race last week that didn't have as much mud as I would have liked!

As for more fell races, I'd maybe consider some of the shorter distance Hardmoors!

Hi Pinky...

Yes fell-specific shoes are very low on cushioning, although it's a necessity, as in order to have confidence in your footing and grip, you need to be able to 'feel' the ground beneath your feet. Usually the terrain provides the cushioning for you, but as you found out, on rocky or bone-dry courses this doesn't apply.

You can certainly get used to the lack of cushioning... when i first started, i struggled with 10-12 miles in fell shoes, but a few years later and i'll happily knock out 30/40/+ mile races in fell shoes if the conditions dictate.

For your situation, it's just a lot of money (potentially up to or even above £100) for a pair of shoes you may not use again. Of course if you may well get out on the fells again in the future, particularly in races, it might be a worthwhile investment.

In terms of the cushioning of the fell shoes i mentioned, the La Sportiva Mutants have the most. The issue i had with them is the sides of the heels are cut quite high, and if you really get off-path onto contouring ground, it dug into the sides of my heels a bit, resulting in me 'operating' on the shoes with a knife. Otherwise, they are a superb shoe and very well made.

Mudclaws are next, very low on cushioning, grip is superb though. I've had a few pairs of these and never had an issue, although i did suffer a 'blowout' in a pair of these on a long race this summer, resulting in me trying ....

VJ Irocks... Next to no cushioning. Very similar i guess to Inov8 X-Talons. Grip is absolutely fantastic, in my opinion it is at least as good as the mudclaw, the comfiest fell shoes in terms of fit that I've ever worn, and the build quality is great.

Hope that helps, and you don't fall asleep halfway through reading that lot...!

As a tight Yorkshireman, whatever I buy will get plenty of use, local races (National Trust) and Hardmoors, etc. The Mudclaws seem the better price and there is a cross country league that I take part in, that's usually muddy but the spikes aren't always appropriate.

Thanks again for your help and enjoy your racing!

No problem.

I use my fell shoes on the cross-country too. Most people in my club seem to go for spikes when it gets really sticky, but i stick with fell shoes right through, and I've never felt lack of spikes to be a disadvantage...

The Inov-8 X-Claw 275 might be worth a look - it's like a more cushioned mudclaw. I'm on my 2nd pair, and find them fantastic.

Sportsshoes currently got them on sale at 40% off https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/...-shoes-~-ss18/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    As a tight Yorkshireman, whatever I buy will get plenty of use, local races (National Trust) and Hardmoors, etc. The Mudclaws seem the better price and there is a cross country league that I take part in, that's usually muddy but the spikes aren't always appropriate.

Thanks again for your help and enjoy your racing!
    These may be of interest https://www.irunfar.com/2018/07/new-...wn-review.html

I popped into NB Shap shop 3 weeks ago and brought a pair of the SUMMIT UNKOWN for £45 now 350 kilomtres later, on all terrain including wet limestone I swear by them and am more than happy to have a run round Fairfield, Kentmere or any other of fells for that matter, plus I would have no qualms about covering Ultra distances in them they are not waterproof but they do dry very quickly (unlike the so called waterproof ones that have let water in and take for ever to dry).

Just my take on what I find to be a good well priced all round shoe might not be fashionable but man they are good.

Good Luck
    Last edited by JohnK; 15-08-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Having run on the NYMs' trails and tracks in mudclaws previously, I can say they are not that comfy and the studs will wear quickly.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy