Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2019 BG attempt

Quote Originally Posted by locky View Post
    I'm also hoping to have a stab to mark my 50th. I'm a long way from the Lakes tho (Nr Southampton) so limited to a few visits in the first half of 2019 and then a mid to end of June attempt possibly. Will keep an eye on this thread/forum as it would be good to team up and do some practice runs with others...
    Hi Locky if you are driving up the m40 and want some company I would be interested in joining. A couple of (Southern, not as Southern as you though) club members are also having a crack so might be able to lift share or something.

Hi, I’m planning to make an attempt in June, so it would be good to link up with anyone doing similar for recces. Planning to get up there as much as possible between now and then, mostly on Saturdays. I’m based in the Wigan area, so can either share lifts or meet up there.
    Cheers, Tim

I’m looking to make an attempt this year and I could do with maybe going up with someone. I’m in Blackburn so not far from Wigan

That would be good, i’m trying to go up regularly, so I can let you know when I go next, which is likely to be next week at some point.

Start the year the way you mean to go on – I did a little recce from Honister to Pillar at the crack of dawn New Year’s Day, beautiful part of the route, beautiful weather. Good luck to anyone building up to an attempt this year. 💪

Super Moderator
    Good style. Is your log-on a reference to Skipton Chris or are you going Double Dutch style (as well as presumably ACW)?

The real hero was the owner of the torch I could see near the top of Fleetwith Pike when my brother dropped me off at at 7AM!

Nah my name’s just a reference to the fact that I skip a bit when I walk. Let’s just claim it’s supremely biomechanically efficient, and doesn’t just make me look a bit daft.

ACW is an interesting one. I just did that direction because it was easier to recce like that, but I have been tempted. Mainly, if I’m honest, because it’s the unfashionable choice. It would probably depend on my pace – Not sure I’d fancy the swamps of Skiddaw in the dark, but if I could get <20h, then it would be interesting.

Super Moderator
    Do some more recces and see what suits. You’ll meet fellow ‘enthusiasts’ out and about for sure at all hours

Lovely recce of Threlkeld -> Dunmail this morning. Went really well, although I needed GPS to get me round the Dodds whilst maintaining an acceptable pace.

A moment’s madness in the clag led to me blasting off the top of Dollywaggon in completely the wrong direction, but I managed to recover, and made it to Dunmail without keeping my ‘taxi’ waiting too long.

I’m excited to actually attempt the BGR, but in honesty, i could sack it off and i’d still have these lovely pre-dawn training runs for the rest of my life.

After having to cancel last year due to a pulled hamstring in the months before which totally put me out of action, I'm going for an attempt starting Fri 17th May at 7pm. I supported a few rounds last year so now have a good idea of what to expect but I still have a few sections I need to recce properly (have had a lot of bad weather meaning I couldn't see much!). Currently getting over a slight sprained ankle from going over on microspikes a few weeks ago but I managed to recce Edale Skyline last Friday and it was fine apart from being quite swollen for a day but the physio doesn't seem too concerned :-)

I have the beginnings of a team and think I have all legs covered but am struggling with road support so if anyone will be recovering/tapering that weekend then please let me know. I still have some time and a few more options to try but it is a busy weekend for races unfortunately!

Feeling very overwhelmed by all the logistics and the chance of bad weather (given that I had hail, persistent rain and galeforce winds mid June last year whilst racing in the lakes!), probably more so than the running part at the moment as I can only do what I can do on the day.