Thread: Blood in urine

Blood in urine

A few weeks ago after a long, hard run I peed.It was very red, thick and obviously blood. No other problems, no other discomfort etc. I drank lots of water as I knew I was dehydrated, had foolishly gone out without any drink. The weather was hot and clammy. After downing a litre of water I peed clear again. After a weekend of frantic google searching and convincing myself I had cancer I went to GP. Ran a urine test which came back clear' He said it wasn't uncommon for runners to have blood in urine after a hard run-first I'd heard of it. He said not to worry about it.
    Today it's happened again, any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Neil

You were correct to get it checked out as a precaution, but i wouldn't worry.

I've temporarily had it after a long run, 8hrs+..... i believe it's just the constant pounding which irritates the bladder (although i'm by no means a doctor or any kind of medical expert).

2 episodes of haematuria definitely needs checking. Get back to your GP ASAP. You need a full run of checks to rule out kidney or bladder pathology before this can be passed off as benign exercise induced haematuria. Of course it also depends on your age. If in 20's, benign cause is likely. Over 30...get checked out.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I've got appt on Monday for bloods. GP thinks it's probably exercise induced but best to get bladder and kidney checked. Maybe referred to urologist. Not looking forward to anything g being poked up.urethra!

After some tests including cyscoscopy - camera down willy - ultrasound and bloods I've got a kidney stone. Seems like runners are more at risk due to dehydration. No further blood in urine but some severe pain when stone has moved. Nothing to be concealed from keeping hydrated apparently. I'm relieved as there were some concerns it may be bladder cancer. Neil

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    After some tests including cyscoscopy - camera down willy - ultrasound and bloods I've got a kidney stone. Seems like runners are more at risk due to dehydration. No further blood in urine but some severe pain when stone has moved. Nothing to be concealed from keeping hydrated apparently. I'm relieved as there were some concerns it may be bladder cancer. Neil
    Great result pleased for you Happy new year
    The older I get the Faster I was

Good news Neilly but also a reminder to all to never write off blood in urine.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth