Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Purdy RIP

From the photo on the link he did not look that old, so sad. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    It was always a mystery to me why Danbert disappeared from these pages...now we know. So sorry to hear of this. John joins a growing list of top forumites to have passed on. He is in good company but that will be no comfort to his nearest and dearest to whom I extend heartfelt condolences.

RIP Danbert.
    Indeed Simon; over some 12 - 13 years, upto maybe 2 years ago, I had some very lovely and often humorous exchanges with Danbert and like Wheeze, I too wondered why he had disappeared from this forum.
    From some of our exchanges I drew the impression that John had a similar working class upbringing to myself, in a very similar era?
    None of the obituaries mention his age; would it be out of order to enquire what age he had attained?

RIP Danbert & Deepest Condolences to his nearest and dearest.

Actually just answered my own question by going on the members' list ...... how sad, only 54; some 13 years younger than myself.

Ian Roberts, Bowland Fell Runners
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 11-09-2018 at 04:02 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

All the FRA members kind words will mean a lot to John's family. He started life on the railways as a track communicator and went to University later to do electrical engineering. He was a lecturer at his local college for many years and then progressed to several colleges in the area. He always felt he was in loco parentis when with students and they returned their respect and friendship. John helped many on their career pathway.
    He was 54. His funeral is on Tuesday next at Blackley Crematorium at 1.30pm.

I don't really feel placed to comment, as he was on the forum before my time, although i certainly recognise the name from many threads.

Very sad to hear.

A great shock. What a character. RIP Danbert!

Very sad to hear, he was a great character on the forum and I like many wondered who Danbert actually was. Now I know, but he is gone, a loss to us all on here.

Master
    RIP Danbert. He was a real star of the forum - always had something interesting to say. Condolences to his family and friends.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    A legend of the forum and sadly missed.
    Any thread started by him always got my attention. It would usually contain no end of classic wit and irony with a down to earth attitude and irreverence that nearly always brought a wry smile to my face.
    RIP Danbert

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Like Travs, I arrived on the Forum after Danbert had stopped posting; but I have often seen, and been amused by, his posts on long-running threads. What a great memorial he has left us with his off-the-wall humour.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I enjoyed reading the stuff Danbert posted, he certainly came across has one of the good guys. His banter with united fans was always worth a viewing.

It's always intriguing when a popular formite stops posting. My instincts usually have me thinking long term injury, new hobbies, busy life, facebook....it's so sad to hear the reason where Danbert is concerned.

Condolences to friends and family.
    Last edited by Tindersticks; 11-09-2018 at 07:40 PM.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.