Thread: From Fell to Marathon

From Fell to Marathon

So this spring I did a bit of fell racing but the main focus was Manchester Marathon. Initial plans for 6min miling (2:37ish) were shelved when I decided to stick with some fells. I managed 2:42:51 despite cramping in the last 4 miles (not enough salts, too much water, warmish day) still maintained 6:30s at a hobble though after 6:07s for 22 miles.

Anyway that got me the Championship time so my plan next spring is to focus fully on London and ~2:35ish, lowering my other road times to 'acceptable' in the process and hopefully getting some good performances at the XC championships. Focussed training will begin some point in late November.

Does anyone have any experience of a fell -> Marathon switch? Normally it'd be the other way around! Interesting that GB ultrarunner Robbie Briton is doing similar at Valencia this winter.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

ba-ba i'd be interested as to how you think your more road-specific training helped (or hindered) your performance on the fells?

I've got my own opinions, as a fell-runner living and training in the flat midlands, but would be interested to hear the thoughts of someone at a higher level.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    ba-ba, I think you need to win the British Fell Running Championship before turning to the marathon (Dave Cannon, Kenny Stuart)
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I came to realise, whilst on holiday last week, that I dislike running on the road and I'm not that keen on London, so what the hell was I doing? Well and truly sacked off.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

All those zig-zagy runs you have been doing up on teeside would be enough to drive anybody mad.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    . . . I dislike running on the road and I'm not that keen on London . . .
    I think that makes you a normal human being.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I came to realise, whilst on holiday last week, that I dislike running on the road and I'm not that keen on London, so what the hell was I doing? Well and truly sacked off.
    Not to mention that both Dave Cannon & Kenny Stuart made the switch from fell to marathon quite successfully but then went down with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome!
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Presumably you're pretty well through a structure training program though. Is it worth sticking with it, so you never have to wonder "what could I have achieved if I'd've stuck with it?"

I notice you weren't at Stretton. Your little club need all the help they can get.

No I've been I'll 5 time since November so training wasn't what it could have been, partly precipitating the decision.