Thread: Charnwood Challenge

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Charnwood Challenge

Anyone looking for a race this Sunday and within reach of Loughborough, have a look at this: https://www.facebook.com/CharnwoodCh...bIPts6ibBdaUog . It's a fundraiser for a local Scout Group; I have no connection with them, but I have noticed that they still only have 28 entries for the main race, and they are obviously going to have a lot of manpower out marshalling, etc, so it would be a pity if they don't get a decent turnout.

The route is just over ten miles. The first three or four miles are pretty boring, but the rest is Category B stuff. I know it well, most of the route is paths I use for training.

Entries close on Friday according to the Facebook page, but Saturday according to the SIEntries page. And yes, I know, the entry fee is a bit steep compared to fell race entries, but I think it's for a good cause.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    It seemed strange on the morning of a race to be able to have a leisurely breakfast and then just pootle 10 minutes up the road on my bicycle to get to the start. Most of my racing involves considerably more travelling!

The race itself started pretty inauspiciously for me. A sharp stinging sensation just below my left knee almost immediately after the start, with the pain continuing as I ran on; and after half a mile I was in 6th place (out of 48 starters), an egregious example of my tendency to go off too fast at the start of races. However, the stinging in my left leg didn't affect my running (it was presumably a horsefly bite or something similar; the skin is still quite red); and by the time we had got to Woodhouse Eaves, where the hills start, I was in about 15th position, which was more reasonable.

As we progressed over Windmill Hill, Broombriggs Hill and Beacon Hill, it seemed that the old me from 30 years ago had returned: I was running up all the hills, passing others who were walking; and then being passed on the downhills. On the steepest part of Beacon Hill I passed the first lady, and mentioned to her, "This is my training ground". She asked, "Are you a fell runner?". "Yes", I replied. As she passed me on the descent, I thought, "Yes, I may be a fell runner, but I am still a rubbish descender".

With the race being organised by a Scout Group, I was expecting to see Scouts marshalling at every path junction; but the organisers were relying mainly on hi-viz arrows and tape streamers. Quite a few people took wrong turns, and in some cases, especially on Beacon Hill, this meant that they took shorter routes than intended. In fact, the aforementioned first lady had to go quite hard in the last mile or two to regain her position from two ladies who had passed us by (unintentionally) taking such a shortcut. Anyway, in the spirit of fell running, no-one was too upset, and the organisers have taken note of what will be needed for next year.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Engaging race report.
    Brings back memories from 30 years ago (Lufbra uni days) when Beacon Hill was part of cross-training activity for team sports.