Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First aid kit

First aid kit

I'm starting to do longer runs and more remote, need to more self sufficient. I tend to carry some microporus tape (for minor cuts) and ibuprofen (for old age) but wondered what people carried by way of a first aid kit and what you actually found most useful? Got chatting to a US walker in a hostel recently who carried 2 dissolveable aspirin in a readymade keyfob for heart attacks, said a lot of walkers carry these in the states, but I have never come across that in the UK before.
    Lots of very comprehensive kits on the market but what would you take on a long day out on the fells?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    For a long day out, I carry a small first aid kit containing antiseptic wipes, micropore tape, small Swiss army knife and various dressings, small and large. Also take a thermal blanket, torch, a length of cord, phone and then the usual mandatory kit plus food, water etc.

Wow! You have been a newbie for a while.
    Crepe bandage with a safety pin, triangular bandage, a dressing, cpr shield, chino-graph pencil, ibuprophen, paracetamol, compede plasters, and a scalpel blade. in the same small resealable freezer bag, I have a cereal bar £10 and a debit card.
    The only thing I have used, is the compedes and the ibuprofen.
    For solo runs and most races, a survival bag is a no brainer.
    For comfort tissues and vasoline are good too.

Enjoy your long runs.
    Last edited by sbrt; 06-07-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    Wow! You have been a newbie for a while.
    Crepe bandage with a safety pin, triangular bandage, a dressing, cpr shield, chino-graph pencil, ibuprophen, paracetamol, compede plasters, and a scalpel blade. in the same small resealable freezer bag, I have a cereal bar £10 and a debit card.

Enjoy you long runs.
    I hope the £10 is one of the new plastic ones. I came unstuck on a bike ride when I had to use my emergency £10 from my saddlebag and the shop would not accept it as it was an old one!

Tick removal tool?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Thanks SBRT - I'm more of a reader than a poster so never got round to changing my username. What is the scalpel blade for?
    Don't carry a tick remover but tend not to be prone to them. Sometimes run with a friend and they seem to latch on to her in preference!
    Anyone medical on here know about the aspirin thing? These were the 'pod' keyrings. 'Makes a perfect gift' according to the website!! www.aspod.co.uk/

Splinters or just to cut anything that needs cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    I'm starting to do longer runs and more remote, need to more self sufficient. I tend to carry some microporus tape (for minor cuts) and ibuprofen (for old age) but wondered what people carried by way of a first aid kit and what you actually found most useful? Got chatting to a US walker in a hostel recently who carried 2 dissolveable aspirin in a readymade keyfob for heart attacks, said a lot of walkers carry these in the states, but I have never come across that in the UK before.
    Lots of very comprehensive kits on the market but what would you take on a long day out on the fells?
    Hello everyone,

I've been worrying about my next run (as I've been practicing short runs before) and this time I'm sure I'll need some first aid kit. Sometimes, I use ibuprofen, but I guess with regard to my age (I'm turning 54), there's definitely some risk and I need something serious.
    Last summer I underwent back surgery (not a serious one) and since then I'm trying to be careful about the movements. I took the medications prescribed by the doctor, but the post surgery period is over. Should I consult the doctor perhaps? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    Wow! You have been a newbie expert for a while.

Enjoy your long runs.
    And I do have to drink much water all the time. My organism has been adjusted to it during the post surgery treatment.. But I can't possibly take so many bottles.. Is there any way to avoid dehydration while running?

Afraid a lot of us will just drink from mountain streams. We accept there is a risk to that, but if out for a long day in warm weather, it would just not be enjoyable carrying "enough" water.

If you are doing a known route you can hide water bottles at road crossings, the night before. A lot of people would do that for long races.