Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parking to car share

Parking to car share

Here's something I have often wondered about, and wondering again for this years OMM.

Ideally my partner and I would like to car share to this years OMM, however since we will be coming from different parts of the country (partner: London, me: Peak district) it makes sense to converge somewhere on route, park one car for the weekend and continue in the other car. This seems to be a facility lacking in the country, as car parks seem to 'close' overnight or only really cater for one day parking...

Does anyone know of any good spots for doing this approaching south Wales, Hereford/Worcester/Cheltenham?

I've often thought it would make sense to do this when going up to the Lakes together, spots around Cheshire would be good I guess.

on street parking in a "posh" area?

Not a bad idea Patrick. Thanks.

Would you get away with leaving a car at a motorway station for a couple of days, I suppose not.

I think I've noticed signs at most motorway services that say a 2hour limit for parking. Those would be ideal spots for people to meet up park and continue in one car. Maybe the government should encourage these places to allow people to park for longer for reasonable price?

Update. I just looked up Lymm services on the M6, free for 2hrs, £16 for 24 hours... quite pricey for a weekend up to the Lakes (it would be cheaper to both drive). At least there's some posh areas around there.

Quote Originally Posted by PiesAreGood View Post
    At least there's some posh areas around there.
    Lymm? maybe one or two.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    A lot of service stations have ANPR these days and charge the earth for anything over 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    A lot of service stations have ANPR these days and charge the earth for anything over 2 hours.
    Don't I know it. I once broke down in a services car park and I only avoided a £60 parking charge while waiting for the AA because the nice people in the filling station took pity on me.

How about a park & ride, in maybe Gloucester, Cheltenham or Bristol?

We've used the Lancaster p & r at J34 on the M6 to meet up, left a couple of cars there for the day whilst we have gone off in a third car.

I'm sure their must be plenty of people who p & r into a city, then stay over in a hotel, whilst the car spends the night on the p & r?

I can't see why the 'authorities' should complain, you are using the facility for its intended purpose - reducing the number of cars out on the highway?
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 23-10-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Please check carefully before following WD's suggestion. Rules may differ, but at my local (Winchester) P&R::

Penalty Charge may be imposed for the following reasons:

1. Failing to park wholly within a marked parking bay.
    2. Failing to purchase and display a valid ticket.
    3. Exceeding the 24 hour parking limit.

So OK for a one day race, but not for the OMM.