I was cycling on the cycle path alongside Epinal Way, the ring road in Loughborough, not going particularly fast. Ahead there was a lady waiting to cross the road, and a few other people standing on either side of the path. Plenty of room for me to go between them; I slowed down a little, but didn't think it worthwhile ringing my bell.

Exactly at the wrong moment, the lady stepped backwards. I think it was only my handlebar that hit her; anyway, I was on the floor, and then she joined me down there, although I think more out of surprise than the force of the impact. I asked her if she was all right, and she nodded to indicate that she was. She was back up before me; I think I asked her twice more to check that she wasn't hurt, before continuing on my way.

I was aware of some discomfort in my left hip which had hit the ground, but felt comfortable enough for the remaining 8 miles of the journey. I was sitting down for a good 2 hours at my destination, and it was when I got up that I noticed that the hip was rather stiff and painful. But once I got on my bike for the 10 miles back home, there was no problem. This evening I have only noticed the pain when I get up after sitting down. I'm really not looking forward to getting up tomorrow morning after eight hours in bed!