Thread: Watch GPS with incline

Watch GPS with incline

Hi,

I am currently happy using "feel" for incline but now that embarking on more ultra distance goals I am curious to know whether anyone knows of a GPS watch with incline features ie giving percentage of current slope or even future slope if on a route?

Cheers,

Ben.

Why not just look at a map and study the distance between the contours. Far more satisfying, I'm sure!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Why not just look at a map and study the distance between the contours. Far more satisfying, I'm sure!
    Good point but way too lazy!

The Garmin Fenix 5 watches ( and probably the older Fenix 3 ) does this. The data field you would want to choose to display on one of the data screens is called Grade
    Here's an article about how it works - it's written from a bike computer point of view, but Garmin will use the same calculation in it's watches which have a barometric altimeter https://galebernhardt.com/blogs/news...-percent-grade

Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post
    The Garmin Fenix 5 watches ( and probably the older Fenix 3 ) does this. The data field you would want to choose to display on one of the data screens is called Grade
    Here's an article about how it works - it's written from a bike computer point of view, but Garmin will use the same calculation in it's watches which have a barometric altimeter https://galebernhardt.com/blogs/news...-percent-grade

thanks very much Yaks. Really useful.

Looking at trying to slow down on long events and walk on the hills depending on both speed and gradient so that is good news.

I've just seen the Garmin 935 is cheaper and seems to have the function too so I will go for that.

Ben.

Hope it works out for you Ben.

Although I have the Fenix 5, I must admit I never use this feature, instead I tend to rely on keeping the heart rate below a certain level on longer runs ), as I feel that is truer reflection of how hard you are pushing yourself. eg a 10% slope on tarmac is easier to run up than a 10% slope of mud and rocks