Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rucksack

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

New Rucksack

So my ancient Salomon running sack has finally bitten the dust. Not waterproof anymore, the elastic is no longer elastic and the zip keeps coming undone thus depositing equipment all over the hillside whilst running along. Not lost anything yet but it is only a matter of time.

So do I go for a new Salomon Trail, the Omm Ultra or something else?

I need 15-20 litres, preferably waist pockets (as I like to be able to get to food without having to take the rucksack off), external bottle/dog bowl storage and hopefully somewhere around the £50 mark.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Pete it probably doesn't help, but I use a Force Ten (better known for climbing gear) rucksack for longer races and training runs. There are a range of sizes, although I believe 25 litres is the smallest, and they don't have side pockets. Although in a longer race this is no issue to me as I get food/water/clothes out on the uphills, and it's just a case of slinging it off my back and grabbing what I need.

Wore it in the LDMT and no complaints in what is a stern test of equipment. Oh and they are made of cordura, so although the small branding logos have slightly worn off, the bag itself seems to be indestructible.

Definitely doesn't help you, as the 25 litre version is £95...! Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Definitely doesn't help you, as the 25 litre version is £95...! Sorry.
    Thanks anyway. I have a berghaus climbing sack which I use when I need something bigger so really need something to fill the gap between that and a bumbag. It's usually for long summer runs or short winter ones when you need more kit and/or food. I don't mind spending more on it though if I'm getting a quality product.

It's worth looking at the Decathlon range - you get a lot for your money. This one might fit the bill:https://www.decathlon.co.uk/helium-1...d_8358968.html

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    It's worth looking at the Decathlon range - you get a lot for your money. This one might fit the bill:https://www.decathlon.co.uk/helium-1...d_8358968.html
    Looks good but is it waterproof?

OMM Ultra 15 - I've had mine 8 years and it is still going strong. Used for everything from commute to baby change to carry-on to...ah mountain marathons!Probably will replace with the same

Sorry Pete - missed that bit! Doubtful. Personally I'd never feel quite confident with a "waterproof" sac anyway - always put everything in plastic bags :-)

Agreed - Anything that has to stay dry always goes in an additional bag anyway.

Forgot that my daughter has the Omm ultra 15 though it's a couple of years old so not quite the same as the current model. Going to borrow it for a run and see how I get on. Surprised there is nothing comparable in the inov8 range. Also looked at the Montane Via Dragon 20 but may be well out of the price range unless I can find one in a sale somewhere.
    Last edited by PeteS; 30-09-2018 at 12:51 PM.

10 litre Inov8 pack with side pockets £39.99 at sportsshoes.com

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds