Thread: Stress fracture

Stress fracture

Pretty sure I've got/had a stress fracture at the lower outer leg/above ankle area. I've had one about 10yr ago and feeling very similar.
    Just wanted to ask if anyone else has had one and tried return to run?
    I've not ran for 6 weeks and want to start gradually walk jogging...
    Generally only very slightly sore in the area but slightly stiff and more sore after doing lumpy walks over the local hill.
    Anyone had anything similar or know about stress fractures?? Should I wait to be 100% free from any soreness before starting to get back to gentle runs?
    Will Meredith - Pennine

You poor sod! I feel your pain and frustration (or MrRTS does). He had a stress fracture about 6yrs ago and waited until it was pain free before getting back to running. About 4yrs ago he started to feel symptoms of another one. This time he didn't wait until he was completely pain free before getting back into training. Most of his running at the time was fell. However, he had a place at the Brussels Marathon so he was doing some road and hard surface. Race day came and he said "the ankle feels a little stiff but it will be fine." He got to 5k and his leg gave way. He had a vertical fracture of the medial malleolus (inner ankle bone). A stress fracture will turn into a complete fracture if you keep stressing it as it has nowhere else to go. Being vertical it was unstable and the pain was indescribably awful. He was in plaster for 4 months. Conversation with Consultant after 6 weeks- "Can I bike?" "Yes, that will be fine." Conversation with me "he said I can bike." Me "Did you tell him you were biking 30mls a day!" MrRTS "he didn't ask". He was the most miserable git ever and I love him but he drove me to distraction. I would make visits to friends up just so I could get out of the house and I'd go and sit in the car and read my book for an hour. On the day of the plaster coming off he went in thinking he was going to be running out of there and doing laps of the car park. It took at least another 6 weeks before he could get back to easy running. He biked, swam and did many hours at the gym just to keep himself (and me) sane. ... So in brief, take it easy until you are pain free. Go swimming, go biking, go to the gym. For as long as you feel that pinpoint pain area. Good luck
    Last edited by RaceTheSweeper; 29-09-2018 at 12:42 AM.

No way! That sounds horrendous! Does ring a bell though. I've been cycling instead but I think I might have to stop the 70ml bike rides as it's not getting any better 😂🤔

Its back - the stress fracture from last year has returned.
    Currently at 7 weeks without run and man flu has helped to prevent almost anything over the last 3 weeks. Going to give it the full 3 month/12 weeks rest this time and return very gradually.
    Will Meredith - Pennine