Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abraham's Tea Round

Abraham's Tea Round

Took on this 30m/12,500' round last Thursday with a friend. Headwind all the way to Buttermere then a nav error meant we went up High Crag. Extra miles and an extra peak. The return was thick with clag especially Grizedale pike. It began to clear at Causey pike and for the rest of the run. 9hrs plus some change. Good going considering. Highly recommend the round. Worth it for the Golden teacup at the end!

JB

Well done, not the best of days for it, but a great adventure! Keswick Ladies Veterans have just posted a quick paired relay time ( 6 hours something) - I think they only did it for the tea back in Abraham's at George Fisher!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Had a run around this on Friday - windy as hell but clear and managed just over 10 hours. Couldn't stand up very easily on Eel Crag. Belting route and love my golden teacup

Super Moderator
    Great stuff Mark!

Anyone tried the descent from High Stile to Bleaberry Tarn missing out Red Pike?

Quote Originally Posted by JillD View Post
    Anyone tried the descent from High Stile to Bleaberry Tarn missing out Red Pike?
    Short answer: it's doable.

Longer answer... unless you know exactly where you're heading, it's probably going to cost you time rather than gaining it. The ground is steep and arduous.

I was faced with a similar predicament a couple of years ago on a training run. Was on top of High Stile (having come from Red Pike direction), and in a rush to reach Buttermere and water/food. Faced with three options a) carry on down to Scarth Gap b) north east ridge of High Stile c) direct to Bleaberry Tarn...

Ended up going for the north-east ridge and wasted plenty of time by not knowing the best route, and from my vantage point, i expect i'd have been in exactly the same trouble had i gone direct to Bleaberry Tarn.

Unless you know exactly the best line, you are probably much better off going via Red Pike and the path.

Thanks for the reply. Not going to have time to recce so should go for the Red Pike option...... but who know what I’ll end up doing on the day!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    The gulley between Chapel Crags and the NE ridge is rough and steep but reasonably safe otherwise and a direct line to Bleaberry tarn. Alternatively, take the Red Pike path and there is another gulley leading down into Bleaberry combe just after Chapel Crags. Again quite rough and steep and both could do with a bit of recce first though you'll get a good idea of what is in store from the top of each of them.

Paul Murray, on his 65@65 run (Fellrunner Autumn 2008) described the descent form High Stile to Buttermere as 'the worst descent of the weekend". I would guess that John Fleetwood also went that way on his Lakes 2500s.

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    Paul Murray, on his 65@65 run (Fellrunner Autumn 2008) described the descent form High Stile to Buttermere as 'the worst descent of the weekend". I would guess that John Fleetwood also went that way on his Lakes 2500s.
    That's also the descent line on the Frog Graham Round. It's cairned (faintly) and I've done it several times, never the same way twice though! John did an ACW Tea Round and also went that way.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners