Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: British/Eng Champs 2019

British/Eng Champs 2019

Hi one and all,

Anybody have a list of the British and English champ races for 2019? I imagine they’ll be released in the next month but thought I’d see if anybody knew now.

Thanks

This is the time of year when I normally respond with "the FRA have once again overlooked Shutlingsloe". However, I can now also add: I can confirm Groovy Kinder Love has not been included.

Let's enjoy the few weeks of mindless guessing before anyone confirms either way.

Is it Ennerdale's turn again yet?

I have heard that the two longs are Howgills and Great Lakes.

Surely it's about time Peris was in the British Champs again?

We need new races...What about the classic Shutlingsloe?

Ilam (south peaks) as a short I have heard. A medium in the Dales (Black fell?) Howgills and Great Lakes what I'm hearing for L also.
    About time we had a Coledale/Fairfield/Consiton as a M again IMO, though we did have many a cumbrian race in the eng champs last season (4 of 6)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Reliably informed that Creag Dhubh is the Scottish short race in the British champs next year.
    The route description doesn't sell it to me though!
    Rob and Sharon got their recces in early.
    http://www.scottishhillracing.co.uk/...RaceID=RA-0089
    Last edited by Wardy; 04-10-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Ilam would be a great choice. The only snag I can see is in moving the race from a midweek evening slot to the weekend. Anyone who has been to Ilam will know that it is jam packed with tourists virtually every weekend due to its beauty and National Trust status.
    Hopefully they will find a way
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I did Creag Dubh a couple of times in the 1980s. From the features in the description on the SHR webpage, I don't remember the fences, but I do remember the river. Then the little path up through the birch scrub, with various other paths branching off so you could go the wrong way. But don't worry, the course is marked -- with six white horses (with riders to keep them still), so you suddenly see a horse in front of you as round a bend in the path. Then out onto the open hillside: thigh-deep heather, with rocks concealed underneath; no path, unless one has been formed in the 30 years since I last did the race. This is OK uphill, when you can't go very fast anyway, but not so good on the downhill when you are trying to go fast without destroying your ankles.

So it's classic Highland Games stuff, but I don't think it's really suitable for a championship-sized field.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    We need new races...What about the classic Shutlingsloe?
    I can't see any problems. I've thought it all through - 3 separate races for women, men, and vet men, with a lap of the field to separate them. Next year perhaps.