Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drowning in Plastic

Whats harsher? taking simple actions like those above or prevaricating and the poorest drown in rising sea levels and toxic waste?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

In terms of energy production, I've never fathomed why this country (above all others) isn't seriously developing tidal energy technology. Surely an infinite supply of energy for a tidal island nation.

Or just go nuclear.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    In terms of energy production, I've never fathomed why this country (above all others) isn't seriously developing tidal energy technology. Surely an infinite supply of energy for a tidal island nation.

Or just go nuclear.
    Too expensive/ complicated both to install and to maintain

Not sure we can just discount the idea based on that... let's face it, it will probably be 50 years before any such scheme was installed, and who knows what leaps forward technology will have made in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Not sure we can just discount the idea based on that... let's face it, it will probably be 50 years before any such scheme was installed, and who knows what leaps forward technology will have made in that time.
    At present all of the tech advances are in wind, 8MW turbines with 15MW to come, easier to install and maintain

Either way, the precautionary principle should be used. There's a million reasons/excuses to prevaricate, blame others and remain cragfast through inertia, but most of us can easily do a lot more than we are. The reality is that the overwhelming majority are just too lazy, blinkered and/or selfish to do so. Our collective intransigence and desire to find excuses for non-action are what will do for our grandchildren and our global neighbours.

Quite so Stumpy. Change is the hardest thing for us to do. We constantly need to re-engineer what we take for granted.
    One thing is for sure, when it comes to plastic, we cannot continue as we are.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

If only the taking of simple actions like those would prevent rising sea levels and toxic waste. But they won’t. While we all should do what we can as individuals, and we can all do more, it won’t be enough to solve these complex problems. Public resources and policies need to prioritise the interventions that will do the most good for every pound they cost to implement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Whats harsher? taking simple actions like those above or prevaricating and the poorest drown in rising sea levels and toxic waste?

Tosh Ben. Come on, this has the same urgency as a war. Mincing around with weasel words like 'prioritise interventions' is just going to end up with eternal handwringing. This needs decisive action.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    To be honest I reckon it is to late and the damage is irreversible, nature itself will save the planet by wiping out the element that is doing the most damage, which is of course the human race.
    In a nutshell Homo sapiens will cease to exist in their current form and evolve into a species that can exist in whatever environment is prevailing on our planet in the future.

Its nothing new it has been happening since the dawn of time and is called EVOLUTION and we are too small a part of nature to reverse evolution on our own.

For my part I find the whole climate change and the general evolution thing to be both exciting and intriguing.

At the end of the day I try to do my best for the environment that we currently live in, but I don't kid myself that I/we can stop or reverse evolution.
    Last edited by JohnK; 14-12-2018 at 11:42 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was