Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RO forum

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Jeff View Post
    New question if I may - how is 'climb' actually calculated for a race? Is it as simple as adding up the low points to the high points throughout the course, ignoring the downhills? Or is there some cunning formula? I ask because I have been using Strava to try and work it out, based on races I have done many times, and can't get all that close. Now this may be that these races have been recording the 'climb' for years and years, and now modern technology allows us to measure more accurately...but I'm not so sure on that as actual distances are pretty much bang on. What am I missing? I ask because I am looking at some potential Junior Races, I have some nice courses but want to make sure I'm recording accurately from the start. Thanks.
    Hi Jeff,
    Like most ROs I'm sure, in the old days I used to either count contours, or just take the top height of a climb and subtract the bottom, then add them all up.
    For a more recently created race (Castle Carr) I used mapping software (Tracklogs) and got it to tell me the climb, and went round with a GPS to confirm.
    But for the existing races, the climb will just stay set as what it always was. Perhaps some ROs will remeasure digitally, but I wouldn't have thought many would.

Regarding distance being more accurate - its a lot easier to measure distance on a map than count contours, so I guess that might be the reason?

So all pretty much what you surmised. There's no cunning formula!
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Thanks Bill,

Appreciate the advice - I'm looking at hosting some Junior races, so wanted to make sure I was getting it right from the start.

Thanks again,

Jeff
    Shaved my dreads off...now just 'Jeff'...

Thanks Bill,

Appreciate the advice - I'm looking at hosting some Junior races, so wanted to make sure I was getting it right from the start.

Thanks again,

Jeff
    and I don't think you need to be as accurate as a surveyor might be. I think if you have a race borderline between categories, then maybe you be more careful, but for a short junior race, no one will harass you for being 10% out on ascent.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Be careful of strava for calculating climb.

Position is used to calculate height, so position error and variation can translate to height error, and particularly on traverse paths that can add up to a lot of error height and illusory climb.

It is not so bad on straight up and down.

New question if I may - how is 'climb' actually calculated for a race? Is it as simple as adding up the low points to the high points throughout the course, ignoring the downhills? Or is there some cunning formula? I ask because I have been using Strava to try and work it out, based on races I have done many times, and can't get all that close. Now this may be that these races have been recording the 'climb' for years and years, and now modern technology allows us to measure more accurately...but I'm not so sure on that as actual distances are pretty much bang on. What am I missing? I ask because I am looking at some potential Junior Races, I have some nice courses but want to make sure I'm recording accurately from the start. Thanks.

Wife and I did a lot of walking and running in June and it was very interesting to compare distance / climb recorded on Strava. Her distance was consistently shorter than mine; climb actually quite similar
    Poacher turned game-keeper