Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2018/19

Cross Country 2018/19

Seeing as last year's thread nearly reached double figure pages, seems the XC is still popular on here. Hope everyone is right up for another winter of mud, sweat and tears.

Relays starting in a week or two, then the first league fixture at Cheltenham.

Personally i'm just hoping for an improvement on last year, and hopefully a much improved showing at the Mids and National Champs, after injury-hampered races last year. Perhaps break the top 150 in the league fixtures in what are always fast moving and competitive races.

Team-wise, our club sponsor is offering some generous incentives to get out and compete consistently in the league fixtures, which will hopefully encourage the big guns to turn out regularly and shoot us up the rankings a bit. But in all reality, with the likes of Loughboro, Tipton, Cheltenham, Birchfield, B'ham Uni.... the top 5 positions seem pretty nailed on. We will look to perhaps challenge the likes of City Of Stoke for the top 6 places.

Have a good season everyone!

First Cross Country league fixture for me in 5 years this Saturday, it’s been my goal to get fit for the country since coming back after a work enforced lay off and really looking forward to it, I just need to remember that I’m only racing myself this year, although it’ll be good to have a battle with the guys around me whereever I end up after the first lap shake up to echo Travs, good luck to all for the coming season.

Midlands CC Relays this weekend at Aldersley Stadium Wolverhampton.

After last years debacle where i was disqualified on the start-line for being too young for the vets team (in XC and Road relays it's generally v35 rather than v40, except for this particular event.... rather embarrassing as i was Team manager!)…… I've been promoted to the Senior team with the young guns..... this is more to do with them being short, and me being willing to race, rather than any ability on my part.

6km, a pretty fast course, a few ups and downs but nothing of fellrunning standards, although i recall last year that the slopes were enough to give me a slight advantage over those around me. Managed around 25:30 last year so hopefully see some change out of that.

I'll be there too, running for one of the Wolves vet teams. As should be the legendary fell man Tim Werrett. Missed it last year as it again clashed with the fell relays. Did low 23min the year before. Will watch out for you Travs.

Good luck Gaz.

Must admit to feeling somewhat nervous about tomorrow now! Running the anchor leg for the first team, it's reasonably likely that they'll be high up in the placings after 3 legs, and then hand over to me. With the best will in the world, I'm nowhere near the standard to hold my own at the front of an xc race of this status. So could well be seeing us drop like a stone over the final leg!

Hopefully it will spur me on to run harder and show a big improvement on last year.

A fine day at the Midlands XC Relays this afternoon. Surprisingly hot in the sunshine, it was with great relief on the 2nd lap when I escaped into the shade of the disused railway line for a minute or two, before the final push to the line.

Ran for our first-teamers on the final leg. As expected we were right in the thick of it, and I was positively bricking it when we emerged in 1st place after two legs. I took over the 4th and final leg in 2nd place overall. As expected I couldn't hold my own against far superior athletes, and dropped to 4th over the first lap, and eventually finished 6th.

22:31 for 6km. By comparison, our other runners on my team, and the other front-runners who passed me, were knocking out in around 19:00-19:30... it was certainly a bit shorter than last year, and far better conditions.

Think Tipton Harriers won, City Of Stoke 2nd, not sure on 3rd, Tipton again 4th, not sure 5th, Godiva 6th.

Hope it went well Gaz, looked out for you but didn't spot you...

In other Cross-country news, we have a new guy with us who I believe is originally from Somalia, who i think intends to run in the B'ham league. He ran a Parkrun today in 15:30, so hopefully gives some more depth to our front end.
    Last edited by Travs; 20-10-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Good result Travs. Cruel putting you on anchor leg in medal contention! I did leg 1 in 21.46 and we got a bronze masters medal. Tim W was our quickest, on the anchor leg, running 21.16.

Great stuff Gaz, congratulations on the medal.

I managed to knock 3mins off last year's time. Not sure how much was down to improvement, and how much was down to shorter course and better conditions (I suspect the majority due to the course!)

This weekend see's the BMAF Relays at Long Eaton. It's more of a park course than XC. Only 3km, so fast and furious.

A look back to last year shows me that i got round in 11:29 last year, so i'll be setting out with an ambitious target of going under 11mins this time.

Soon time for the start of the league. After seeing Tipton Harriers' strength in depth last weekend, could they even push the mighty Loughborough this year?

As ever Travs, I will be there... Mansfield the week after then into the Brum League for me too.