Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2018/19

Pfft anyone racing Parkrun instead of the Regional XCs needs a talking to (unless they're doing BUCS XC next weekend, then they get a pass).

Northerns was flat(ish), firm and fast in Pontefract. Carl Bell could be seen leading the race for the first 2/3rds of a lap at least. Plenty of fell running faces - I've picked a few out from the men's race (only reason for being picked out: I recognise their name on the results and from championship fell race results). Hoping that 4 weeks extra training in the bank will co-incide with 4 weeks of rain at Harewood house so we can have hills and a mud bath at The National.

1 Emile Cairess Leeds City Athletic Club 00:38:05
    14 Jack Wood Ilkley Harriers Ac 00:39:47
    20 Chris Holdsworth Ribble Valley Harriers 00:40:05
    25 Daniel Haworth Keswick AC 00:40:17
    31 Jonathan Dry Kendal AAC 00:40:33
    34 John Battrick Keswick AC 00:40:42
    43 Carl Bell Keswick AC 00:41:05
    55 Peter Bray Chorlton Runners (Ambleside) 00:41:28
    75 Sam Stead Keswick AC 00:42:11
    78 Steve Franklin Totley Ac 00:42:14
    102 Mark Lamb Keswick AC 00:42:57
    104 Calum Tinnion Keswick AC 00:43:00
    112 Steve Hebb Keswick AC 00:43:25
    119 Nicholas Barber Hallamshire Harriers 00:43:50
    129 Adam Osborne Leeds City Athletic Club (CVFR) 00:43:59
    194 Peter Hodges Hallamshire Harriers (Dark Peak) 00:45:41
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Well done ba-ba, I assume that was 12km...?

Good stuff GazB.... I assume the descent you struggled with was off the 2nd hill... I had Fell shoes and no issues, admittedly I cut right a little onto the slightly longer vegetation rather than sticking to the very slick racing-line....

advertised as such - as ever with XC it's not entirely accurate. The Southerns get a good 15km on Parli hill though the lucky beggars!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Nationals could be interesting.... being "way up north" I wonder if the southern powerhouses will travel up in such huge numbers...

Midland results are out... Notts AC took their 8th win in a row... congratulations to Corniceman's boys there...

Birchfield only two points behind, and Bristol & West 3rd. Our Godiva boys a distant 8th with a much depleted squad (when I'm scoring you know it's bad news). GazB and his Wolves & Bilston 12th with a similarly depleted team I understand.

Individually I came 178th which is very slightly above my B'ham league finishes. Which I guess points to the high level of the league round here, arguably a bit stronger than the Midlands Champs.

Also agrees with the theory in our club that your league position corresponds closely with your Mids Champs position (the omission of the big Uni teams is roughly cancelled out by adding in the strong teams from the likes of Notts AC and Bristol).

The finale of the B'ham league moves on to Telford this weekend. I'm hoping that with both our a and b teams looking solid in their 6th positions, that i can give it a miss and save myself for the Long Mynd Valleys on sunday, although will race if necessary.

Barring a miracle it looks like Birchfield will wrestle the crown back from the formidable Loughborough (although one of the fast Birchfield guys did drop out of the Midlands the other week).

Good luck GazB and all others in action this weekend.

I'm sure i read that the Nationals has 8000 runners registered across all age categories!

I got a different view of the XC League today, as a spectator. Division 1 was off to the former England Football team HQ at Lilleshall. I couldn't help gazing over to the Wrekin, clearly visible ten miles to the south. Now that would be an interesting XC course.

What looked a fast and furious course today, made difficult by a very stiff wind. A front 5 quickly broke away which included 3 from the impressive Birchfield Harriers, our man Mo, and a Rugby&Northampton. They stayed together for 3 laps until Mr Rugby dropped off, and midway through the final lap one of the Birchfield lost touch. It was down to the other three and looked a fantastic finish on the cards, and our guy was looking strongest. But the other African guy from Birchfield pulled out a gap up the hill, and although our guy rallied, Birchfield held on by two seconds for a fine win.

Birchfield took the honours on the day, with a fine 1st, 3rd and 4th place helping them towards a fine aggregate score of 58.

Birchfield deservedly took the honours for the season as well, with the mighty Loughborough slipping to 3rd, pipped into second by Univ of Birmingham. Our boys finished a creditable 6th which is a big improvement on last season, and the aim next year must be to push towards 4th or 5th, although that will be no easy task. Telford AC who are regularly seen on the fells in the Shropshire races, were unfortunately relegated after coming up last season.

Hello GazB, well done on your race, and congratulations on highest placing of the season!

I've just realised I'm missing the Nationals as will be in Skye, so my XC season has come to an abrupt halt, but it's been an enjoyable one.

Cheers Travs. A new course for me. Fast but not easy. I sneaked in as 6th counter and my Wolves team ended up a comfortable 10th. Will Neill of Mercia finished 30th for Stoke. Good luck on the Mynd - get your lines right and that's half the battle won!

Hope the Nationals went well today GazB and everybody else involved...

I missed out due to travelling back from holiday.

Leeds City took the men's title ahead of Tonbridge.

Our Godiva boys were a respectable 31st with a much depleted team (even I would have likely strengthened the team today, which is never a good sign!). Had we been full-strength I think we could have been pushing Baba's Hallamshire boys around the top 15.... but that's what it's all about, getting your team out on the day, and I guess every team there is saying the same thing!

Still looks like managed 4th Midlands team behind Birchfield, Bristol & West, and Corniceman's Notts AC boys.

Cheers Travs. It was a fantastic venue and course. Lovely soft grass, no mud, hills, well-organised and fab weather. I ran ok on current form and was 1st counter for an under-strength Wolves team in a lowliest-ever 555th (getting old, etc, etc), just 1 second behind young Nic (who was obviously taking it easier than I was).