Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2018/19

Great run Travs. Seemed the strongest ever field I've run against in Div 1, so you've gotta be pleased with that. I had no go in me today, despite running better than of late last week, and ended up 180 - a clear PW. We were 11th team, which is ok considering we had two 17 year olds making their debut in the counters, plus the fell legend Tim Werrett in 133rd.

Well done Gaz.... I may have been only 20 places behind you, but a good minute behind, shows the gulf in class, and the standard needed to move up the field.

Won't be at the next one, as doing the Cheviot Goat ultra, but wouldn't miss 3 & 4 for anything.

Master
    OH NO I got beat by Al Fowler! Almost ten years since his humiliation at the Auld Lang Syne he waits till I'm an old Man to stick the knife in, snucking past me on the last stretch. Well stitched me up there Al.

A rough week health-wise means I've ducked out of the Cheviot Goat, but may well have a pop at the 2nd B'ham League fixture tomorrow. Of the few XC courses I've done, I think Warley Woods is my favourite along with Trentham, so hopefully I can manage something half decent.

Another high-standard and competitive race in the B'ham league today, on a quite hilly Warley Woods course.

After a rough week, I was expecting today to be a bit of a trial, but after a gentle run round the course I decided that despite the hills, it presented some good fast running, and I was just going to go out and hammer it, and see what happens.

So I went off on the first small lap like Linford Christie, absolutely overcooking it, I knew I'd gone too hard when several of the faster Godiva guys went past, shortly followed by GazB, and then sure enough my team rival went past whilst I was gasping for oxygen. I spent the first 1.5 big laps (of 3) hanging on and trying not to lose much ground, then started to find my legs, pulling some places back on the final lap, and pipping my team-mate by 24 seconds in another closely-fought battle that saw us exchange places several times.

212th in 38:12..... 12 places down on the last fixture, but 30 seconds faster and was 10th counter for Godiva.
    Team-wise we had a goodun' moving up to 6th overall after two fixtures. I said I'd eat my hat if we finished top 6, but right in there at the moment, although not going to catch the likes of Cheltenham and Tipton in front. But if we can hold off the likes of City Of Stoke and Rugby & Northampton, it'll be a great season.

My 'b' team slipped down to 8th overall, overtaken today by GazB and his Wolves&Bilston boys. Good to speak to you before the race.

Onto the next one in January... although think got the Warwickshire Champs first.

Decent run Travs. It's a rare proper xc course. I struggled to get going on the start lap - felt exhausted - but gradually worked my way through thereafter, but too late to finish where I hoped to (about 20 places higher!). Keep it up. Top 200 at Northampton after a good Xmas!

Cheers Gaz... hopefully top 200.... last year i only did two races, and managed approx 160th and 185th.... this year I'm convinced I'm running better, but perhaps the standard has upped a little...

Warwickshire County Champs tomorrow, at a new course, so a bit of a mystery.

Not sure what sort of team we've got out, hopefully a good one, as we won the overall trophy last year.

The county champs are a strange one as it's the old county of Warwickshire, so includes us lot in Coventry, and a fair portion of Birmingham as well, so a decent event.

Yorkshires for me today at Lightwater valley. Plenty of fell runners about, will post some names once results are up.

Someone, obviously oblivious to the royalty that is Mr. Holmes of Bingley, had the brass neck to clip his heel near the start so he had to stop after 150m to re-shoe, dropping him to the back of the race. Needless to say I'd forgotten all about him when he came past like a steam train with 1 lap/2km to go. And he just kept going as well!

The course was very very dry - dry enough to wear fell shoes without losing out, and they came back with no mud on them! Normally I want as much slop as possible but after aggravating an achilles recently I was happy to spare myself having to wear spikes. Been feeling a bit ill and crap running since late November, so nice to feel a bit more like a runner again, just missed making the HHS bronze medal winning team. Onwards with renewed vigour to the Northerns and National!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Notts/Derbys XC champs for me today at Wollaton Park. Very dry underfoot and would have been better off running in road shoes. I prefer wet muddy conditions so not my day, but not a bad run all things considered. Round 1 of the East Midlands XC league tomorrow so back to back XC races this weekend and next!
    Do what you like, like what you do