Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tour de Helvellyn

Tour de Helvellyn

Looking forward to doing this in December, and I'm going for a 2-day recce next week. Any hints welcome from anyone who's done it. In particular, between CP 1 & 2, the route description says up Boredale and over the hause. Looking at the map, another possibility is to go to the N and W of Place Fell, on a footpath beside the lake. A little further but flatter. Would that be permissible? Would it be considered unsporting? Or is it like orienteering, where you have free choice between the checkpoints?
    Run the race. Keep the faith.
    (2 Tim 4:7)

No, I think you are expected to follow the race route. Have done it several times anĀ£ never seen anybody do different

I've done the sister event, Lakes Mountain 42, three times, and this December will be my first TdeH. On the LM42 I'm sure the checkpoints are listed and you are expected to be capable and able to navigate your own way between them, but the prime route is pretty obvious for 95% of the route, save for a few "fellrunners lines".

On the TdeH I'd expect that as the route is vaguely described on their website, I'd say it is probably preferred that everyone takes the route over Boredale, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the organiser. However I'd certainly recommend the shorter route over Boredale to the Lake path... not only is it shorter, but the Lake path is by no means flat all the way.

Looking forward to this, generally following the same route as the LM42 but in the valleys and passes, rather than over the tops, but given the time of year and the usual weather conditions, expecting it to be just as challenging.

Just got my place today See you there Travs

Done this a couple of year ago in glorious conditions, believe there was a course record set that day.

As said above you more or less follow the recommended line. Quite a few of us broke off to the right descending from Grisdale Tarn; much easier going on the grass compared to the rocky path. Beside that it is pretty much a pre-determined route.

Very enjoyable day out.

Trying to post on Firefox I get this error
    You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again.
    Been like this for a couple of weeks now - Chrome works OK.

I have done that many times but still no joy.

Must have been a couple of years ago... every photo and video of the last year or two, the weather has been atrocious!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Done this a couple of year ago in glorious conditions, believe there was a course record set that day.

As said above you more or less follow the recommended line. Quite a few of us broke off to the right descending from Grisdale Tarn; much easier going on the grass compared to the rocky path. Beside that it is pretty much a pre-determined route.

Very enjoyable day out.

Trying to post on Firefox I get this error
    You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again.
    Been like this for a couple of weeks now - Chrome works OK.

I have done that many times but still no joy.
    I had the same problem with Firefox. I logged out completely and changed my password which seems to have done the trick!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I had the same problem with Firefox. I logged out completely and changed my password which seems to have done the trick!
    Nope, just tried that and still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Nope, just tried that and still the same.
    try again!