Thread: What an Autumn!

What an Autumn!

Not sure if it's the after-effect of such a hot summer or perhaps there's some chemical wonkiness going on in my brain, but this year's Autumn has just been literally brilliant colour-wise.

Over the last few weeks, my post work, early evening runs up onto the North Pennine fells have been breath-taking. Not in terms of their usual gasping respiratory efforts, but because of the vivid range of colours and shadows across the landscape, within the sunsets and coupled with a general stillness of air. Slight north-west breeze this evening, provided a refreshing chill, the donning of light gloves, and just enough coolness to spur me into upping the pace a notch. Slipping back onto the beech covered lane, behind the house, in the last of the light - bliss.

Shame the clocks will be put back an hour soon, and I'll not be home in time to run in the setting Autumnal light. All good things.......eh!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Super Moderator
    Gorgeous colours (and smells) in Brontë country this back end too Mossy

Master
    Lakes have been great as well even despite last weekends flooding, great crops of apples as well (Glad I don`t have a fruit press to brew my own cider as I stopped drinking alcohol over a year ago).
    Looking forward to a good hard winter with plenty of frost and snow
    The older I get the Faster I was

Yesterday was jaw dropping in the Black Mountains. The weather forecast said cloudy but it was so, so wrong. Vivid clear skies bathed a russett landscape with iridescent angled sunlight that threw all the edges into sharp focus. It was like wondering around in a 60 inch 4K TV screen! Absolutely fabulous.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Super Moderator
    . . . and so much extra time to enjoy the scenery now 😉

Hoping to get some similar views this weekend, though given the weekend it'll probably be shrouded in mist and the main view I'll have is of another skinny runner's arse and rucksack.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    The lunch guests had gone around 3:30pm, and after loading the dishwasher and doing a few other clearing up tasks I told my wife I was off for a walk; actually a walk/jog to see how well I am recovering from my latest Achilles tendon injury. A glorious sunny Autumn day (although there had been a hail shower earlier), and I desperately needed to get out before dark. Left home at 3:57, and ended up going up Beacon Hill, then back via Buck Hill; the reverse of one of my favourite running routes.

On Buck Hill I noticed something white below a bush , a short distance below the ridge. Thinks: "What bonzo has left a plastic bag here". Started walking down to pick it up. Then it flew away, and shortly afterwards, two more took off from a little further down the hillside. Why are there white doves here?

There's an unofficial, but well-trodden, path along the edge of some arable fields quite near home. I don't usually go that way, but it's a useful short-cut if I'm in a hurry. By now it was 5:20, and the light was fading; in fact, almost completely faded. What's that large animal moving on the ground next to the hedge? Oh, it's two animals, homo sapiens. Walk on past.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Banned
    Ha ha ha.
    Trip to the Specsavers would help on both counts.
    😜🌀

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    .................................................. ........................

There's an unofficial, but well-trodden, path along the edge of some arable fields quite near home. I don't usually go that way, but it's a useful short-cut if I'm in a hurry. By now it was 5:20, and the light was fading; in fact, almost completely faded. What's that large animal moving on the ground next to the hedge? Oh, it's two animals, homo sapiens. Walk on past.
    Anthony, either they breed 'em tough down your way or it's nothing like as windy and cold as it is in Lancashire and Cumbria this weekend.
    I was out on support duties on a JNLC yesterday; the wind was blowing straight down from the N pole; totally perished even with the Buffalo Special Six.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    WD, it has been rather cold here, but not so windy. Anyway the two animals on the ground did have a fair amount of clothing on when I passed by.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges