Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: I've raced my last race.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post

Anthony, I hope Mrs Kay is doing OK?
    Yes, thank you, she had a check-up last thursday to make sure everything is OK with the pacemaker, which it is. She is planning a gentle session on the tennis court with a friend tomorrow, to start building up her strength again.

With regard to your own experience, I wonder how much your failure to get beyond 10 miles is simply due to the decline of strength with age, rather than anything to do with your heart condition. I don't feel confident to attempt any race much beyond 10 miles; I entered the Four Fans specifically because I was wanting a race that would test the limits of my current endurance. On the other hand, there are still quite a few M60's who happily go around the toughest AL's . . .
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

No Anthony, no lack of strength. Still plenty left in legs today. It just felt like somewhat had nicked my engine. The chassis is fine!

Good stuff Wheeze.... if you’re the guy I think you are on Facebook WFRA page, you took the ridge route round to PYGF rather than dropping into the valley...?

Yes, I was following Gareth and watching as he split from the guy he was running alongside so I knew we had a 'live' experiment running. Since they put the gravel track across the bog between Waun Fach and Pen Y Gadiar Fawr I have suspected that the time element would be about equal and so it proved to be. So the choice is clear...do you want to swap climb for distance with no time penalty...but who knows what suffering on PYGF!!!

Sadly, for me, even this Cunning Plan could not stave off the inevitable!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

According to the chap on the Facebook page, it only saves about 150mtrs climb, and around 100mtrs descent... for the price of around 4km... I’m not sure if their figures were accurate, and as horrific as the climb is, it seems like an expensive trade-off.... although I bow to your local knowledge and vast experience...

I've not measured the figures myself but the descent and climb are really brutal and take a lot out of your legs with still a long way to go. As I said, until they paved a track through the bog the trade off did not seem worth it. But now it's a realistic option. Shame I could not see it to fruition.
    Of course, back in the day I'd have referred anyone avoiding PYGF wall as a lily livered coward!

It's certainly an off-camber descent, and a very tough climb... I've always though it's better to continue along the ridge, then descend straight direct to where you begin the climb up PYGF.... although iv'e never yet had the bottle to leave the "pack" and try it...!

Yes, I've mused on that too. I did once see Mark Saunders doing this. As he is a master orienteer, I would trust his judgement but I never know what he thought of this. There is a track marked on the map and looking at that area from the top of PYGF you can make out a feint line plunging straight down to the corner of the stone wall at the valley floor. If you are a master descender, this may be quicker than the long traverse. I had a good look at all this on my recce a week before the race when I plodded up the PYGF wall.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Reading your accounts of past successes makes me realise that at my age I am probably never going to have this kind of experience in my life; I mean never say never right, but at age 48 and a bit broken, the standard that is required to come in the top finishers seems an awful long way from where I am.

I am not going let this bother me and just enjoy what I am doing, but it did give me pause for thought.

Well done Wheeze for keeping on going, you are an inspiration

Thanks DM!
    It a truism that we bask in our former glories. I am having struggle with the simple first world problem of a degraded and declining athletic ability which is slowly shutting me out of places where, as a younger self, I found a true and happy expression of myself. Fell running found me and gave me riches I never expected and its a bittersweet realisation that I'll never taste them again. But that is true for all of us. I find musing on that here helps. One of the beauties of our sport is that finishing in the top finishers is not remotely necessary to derive deep enjoyment from participation.
    On Saturday I voyaged further into self discovery all the while surrounded by awesome scenery and other like minded souls. Whats not to like?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth