Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I've raced my last race.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    yes, I think there's something wrong with her inlet pipe. if you could have a look into it i'd be very grateful.
    A recommend a good servicing Ben.

So I gathered more data yesterday. Did a 4 mile fell race setting strict limits on my heart rate with a monitor. 160 is my max so I kept the rate at 140. That put me right at the back of the field on the ascent but I passed a few on the way back. Felt comfortable all the way. And it was nice. Saw me old pals. Saw the hills. Now I just need to ask cardiologist if this counts as avoiding extreme exercise!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    So I gathered more data yesterday. Did a 4 mile fell race setting strict limits on my heart rate with a monitor. 160 is my max so I kept the rate at 140. That put me right at the back of the field on the ascent but I passed a few on the way back. Felt comfortable all the way. And it was nice. Saw me old pals. Saw the hills. Now I just need to ask cardiologist if this counts as avoiding extreme exercise!!
    That sounds good to me Wheeze. Just don't be tempted to overdo it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    You have made me smile very warmly Wheese. You're delightfully incorrigible - true fell runner's spirt, through and through. Just keep taking a very measured approach and follow the best advice you personally trust.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Banned
    Pity you live in Wales and not the Dales Wheeze.

The BOFRA series would be perfect for your new found fun.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Pity you live in Wales and not the Dales Wheeze.

The BOFRA series would be perfect for your new found fun.
    Yes, a 2-mile sprint up and down some impossibly steep jumble of scree and tussocks would be ideal for triggering a "cardiac event".
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Super Moderator
    I was thinking the same AK

Banned
    He is running to a max HR so that would control the pace.

Jez, hope things are going well for you.
    Update on my situation is that I had a long discussion with my cardiologist who considered my plan of keeping pulse at 140 eminently sensible and was pleased I had been able to cut out competitive racing.
    So it was with much pleasure that I took part in a race that i created in 1991 and is now in the able hands of another enthusiast who keeps the race alive. Last time I did it competitively in 2015, I completed it in 1hr 15. This time, sticking to my 140 max pulse I bimbled round in 1hr 30. Not too shabby at all and it was very enjoyable. I was dropped back into a gaggle of lady racers and what a difference! Whereas us blokes would have been silently grinding and sweating our way around, the ladies chatted about all and sundry!😂
    And then, because a large part of the fast field went wrong I came home in 17th place!!😂😂 you couldn't make it up!

Super Moderator
    Fantastic stuff Wheeze. What a great post