Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: I've raced my last race.

Marco, the more weight you can lose the better your chances will be.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Marco, we could have a forum Midlands canal running championship. Obviously Travs would win but we can fight out the minor placings!
    GazB might have a few words to say about that!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I agree with Wheeze sentiments, cycling is ok and good exercise, but it isn’t running in the hills, nothing can beat that feeling of flowing over everything like water.
    So make the most of it whilst you can, because eventually mortality catches up with all of us.
    I think this is what has wormed its way into my consciousness recently. From re-starting fell-racing in 2014 until 2021, I was content to just run the occasional race in between injuries, and even the total lack of racing in 2020 didn't bother me much. Then in 2022 I had an amazing year with no injuries at all, and plenty of racing (by my standards). And now in 2023, with Achilles tendonitis which I know from recent experience takes several months to completely repair, I have for the second time ******ed it up by re-starting training after a few weeks, when it's not really ready. All because it is Spring and I am looking forward so much to getting some racing in the hills.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Haha not recently with my knackered Achilles! Otherwise I am the M50 king of the Cauldon Canal (Leek branch)😂

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Marco, the more weight you can lose the better your chances will be.
    You are, of course, correct.

I asked my surgeon what was the best way to preserve my worn, but natural, hip and the #1 thing he said was "Keep the weight down". Despite putting a bit on, I'm still only 60kg. Whilst I'm not sure I'll see my racing 56kg/26 inch waist again, 58kg and 28inch is obtainable.

Being of a persistent nature, I asked my surgeon what else I could do to preserve my natural joint. His reply was "Eat a really good diet, and by that I mean eat a lot of vegetable and fruit". When pressing him further about the benefits of drinking a lot of water, he said "That's important too"