Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: I've raced my last race.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    The knee surgeon that did my operation told me that all fell runners, because of the hammer affect when running downhill, inevitably destroy some part of their body eventually - usually knees - if they don't stop fell running before they have to.
    I'm a bit sceptical on this. It makes sense as a statement, but it's not like non-fell running old people have perfect knees.

I think if I were to sum up the available evidence it would be something like:
    1. People's knees deteriorate as they get older
    2. We don't yet know if running (or fell running) speeds this up or slows it down

I remember what John Wild said in that book about him and Kenny Stuart. Something like: plumbers and electricians have bad knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It is with great reluctance, and considerable mental pain, that I add my name to those who will never race again. The surgical addition of metal to part of my pelvis, earlier this month, means I will never run again - let alone do the running I love.

I have found it particularly difficult to accept as it was due to rare condition I was born with, and one that meant one hip joint was 10mm higher than the other leading to a text book full of obscure lengthy injuries.

I wish to express my gratitude to Welsh Harrier, of this parish, who was exceptionally helpful to me during my short fell career.
    I have a friend who had a very similar condition which had probably been exacerbated in his case by years of stamping his feet, jumping out of aeroplanes and running with heavy loads. We did quite a few mountain marathons together as well as climbing and walking a lot. He, like you, eventually gave up running after a hip replacement. He found that although this made both his hip joints level his body had great difficulty adjusting to its new alignment after 60 plus years of being slightly off centre. However the good news was that he subsequently managed some substantial cycle touring trips with relative ease and still enjoys walking on the fells. I hope you do as well.

Super Moderator
    Thanks for the updates Marco and great new re the bicycling
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Just when you think you know everything, life throws you a curve ball.

I was called to the hospital today, for a checkup and X-ray of my leg. Against all odds the top surgeon, at the top hospital, was there - the man who spent two and three-quarters of an hour angle grinding my bone and inserting metal into my pelvis.

In one of the most astonishing consultations, he said it was solid enough and I could run on it. I might even be able to run 'uphill only' fell!!! (He said running downhill would be pushing it too much). After almost three years of retirement, there is the possibility that I haven't raced my last race after all.

And then when I got to my car, parked for free on the road outside, some ******* had blocked me in with less than 6 inches at the front and just over 10 at the back

Great news Marco. That's so rare to hear of medical professionals saying "go running again".

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Just when you think you know everything, life throws you a curve ball.

I was called to the hospital today, for a checkup and X-ray of my leg. Against all odds the top surgeon, at the top hospital, was there - the man who spent two and three-quarters of an hour angle grinding my bone and inserting metal into my pelvis.

In one of the most astonishing consultations, he said it was solid enough and I could run on it. I might even be able to run 'uphill only' fell!!! (He said running downhill would be pushing it too much). After almost three years of retirement, there is the possibility that I haven't raced my last race after all.

And then when I got to my car, parked for free on the road outside, some ******* had blocked me in with less than 6 inches at the front and just over 10 at the back
    Excellent news Marco - cross country might be a decent option for you.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

That's good news Marco.

See you at Snowdon Uphill 2024....!!

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Great news Marco. That's so rare to hear of medical professionals saying "go running again".
    Thanks. I was staggered and lost for words (and that doesn't happen very often) when he outlined a 'return to running' plan. As I said, just when you think you know where you're going in life it all changes

There was a bit of a sting in the tail, however. When I explained my reluctance to run was down to trashing the metal hip, he said I'd trash my natural hip first - as it had quite a bit of wear on it ....

He then put up my October 2019 X-ray on the screen side by side with yesterday's X-ray. Showing all the skill of a top surgeon he looked at them for two seconds and then said "but there's been no further wear in almost four years"

I was emotionally exhausted by the time I left the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Excellent news Marco - cross country might be a decent option for you.
    Not sure about that. My surgeon said with linear impact there would be pretty much no wear on the metal hip. I had to ask him what he meant by 'linear impact', and he said that running on a treadmill was a good example as there is no side ways motion and your feet were landing pretty-much below you. Sharp bends and descents are asking for trouble as they put forces through the edges of the metalwork (my surgeon was very good at explaining this)

Track running might be very much do-able, as the corners are not sharp and there's half a lap of straights. The other thing about track is that it's fast, so you tend to run on the front of your foot without heel-striking which adds extra suspension. It's also short in the distances that favoured me (800 and 1500m)

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    That's good news Marco.

See you at Snowdon Uphill 2024....!!
    I'd like to say 'yes' to that, but there are a lot of ifs and maybes. I have also got to listen very carefully to how my body responds to running again. It will also take months to build up to that sort of distance, but if there is a possibility I'd like to take it.