Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: I've raced my last race.

Yes - I agree completely, I have memories of other things I have done that I feel the same way about for sure.

I have definitely found something I enjoy very much here, I am no stranger to mountains, but the races are something new entirely and qualitatively different to every other competitive sport I can think of (none of which I do exactly because I am just not competitive like that). I fully appreciate the sentiment about like minded people; I will never forget the welcome I received at my first fell race - without wanting to sound weird, I felt something like the proverbial 'prodigal son'!

It is definitely along the lines of how I think life should be

Congratulations on a life well lived!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    What Wheeze said!

I'm the same age as Wheeze (plus a few months) and, while I don't have a heart condition like he has, I am certainly aware of my "degraded and declining athletic ability". But I am enjoying life in the M60's, not doing many races, but having the occasional amazing day like last Saturday: a race in which everything felt right, despite the fact that most of my recent training runs have felt rather sluggish.

You, DangerMouse, on the other hand, will soon be joining the M50's, which seem to be the most competitive age class in our sport! [It's not that unusual for there to be more M50's than Senior (21-39 age range) men in a fell race.] So just enjoy the good days, and don't let the bad days put you off.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Thanks Anthony

I have a very strong mind, I won't let the bad days put me off at all. There's been a significant change for me during these last few weeks and I am super keen to keep on top of things because it feels good! Better!

I see the current injury as just a bigger growing pain, I sorted my achilles out and I will sort this out too.

Of course you're right, all things considered it should be quite some time before I am actually saying I have run my last race.

More testing this weekend. The Sugar Loaf race. A lovely 6 mile route which I have raced many times. The last time I raced it in anger I took 57 mins at a pace of 9.58/mile. This year, keeping the pulse at 140 it took me 1.17 at pace if 12.53/mile. This was sufficient to drop me right to the back of the field. So, taking the top 10% off max heart rate degrades pace by 30%. That's the hard facts.

One of the best/worst things about the digital era is the virtually immediate appearance of racing pictures on Facebook. I used to love looking through to catch shots of myself battling the elements and fellow racers even as soon as the celebratory evening glass of scotch on the day of the race. Now, when I look, I get pangs of regret/jealousy/frustration that I no longer figure. Its an exquisite form of self torture and I may have to 'unfollow' the WFRA page!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Yes the WFRA page are pretty quick to get results/pics up, as is the Shropshire Fell Running Page...

Got some real fave pics of myself... although it's usually the scenery rather than the subject that makes the picture special...

Running across High Street on a snowy/icy dawn on the LM42, with a huge portion of the Lake District crystal clear in the background... and a couple of years later on the same race, battling to the checkpoint at Angle Tarn in a ferocious storm...

Running across the top of High Stile at Buttermere Horseshoe

Climbing Great Gable at Borrowdale, with Scafell Pike and the Corridor Route behind (in fact it's my pic on here) (the view reminds me of the Billy Bland photo from a similar position in the same race which features in FITC.... sadly I do not...)

I get all photos downloaded and physically printed and put in an album... when the world goes-tits up, and everyone loses all their digital info, i'll have my hard copy photos of holidays, my family, and of course my fell-running.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    One of the best/worst things about the digital era is the virtually immediate appearance of racing pictures on Facebook. I used to love looking through to catch shots of myself battling the elements and fellow racers even as soon as the celebratory evening glass of scotch on the day of the race. Now, when I look, I get pangs of regret/jealousy/frustration that I no longer figure. Its an exquisite form of self torture and I may have to 'unfollow' the WFRA page!
    Try not to worry yourself, Wheeze. Those photographers are just elitist, only interested in the racing snakes up front.

Thats a tough pill to swallow Marco. Can you do other stuff like cycling?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Super Moderator
    Really sorry to hear your news Marco
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Sorry to hear Marco. Hopefully you'll find a decent substitute.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell