Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: I've raced my last race.

That's really great news Marco - sorry about the blocked car though...GRRrrH
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    That's really great news Marco - sorry about the blocked car though...GRRrrH
    Thanks.

Even the blocked car worked out better than I thought it would. Whilst I thought I'd have to wait until one of the cars returned, as I was on my own, I struck lucky. After about five 'back and forth' manoeuvres, I realised I could actually wedge myself in sideways, so I got out to look at the situation.

Being a hospital, you are not allowed to smoke anywhere on the site. As I was parked directly outside I spotted a smoker two cars down, and I politely asked him if he would help me - which he did. I did the driving, and he did the shouting, and taking the car to within half an inch at either end I managed to drive out. Eventually.

Hey Marco...let's hope you can get back to a running activity you can enjoy. My self imposed restriction from racing suffered another turn of the screw last autumn when my much abused right ankle finally threw in the towel. A scan showed end stage arthritis. My orthopod advised a replacement as I am too active for a fusion. But he also said give it 5 years as replacements will be better by then. He said if I could stop running altogether that would conserve what I have left. So I now cycle. Its OK but nothing can take the place of running free in the hills....nothing.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I agree with Wheeze sentiments, cycling is ok and good exercise, but it isn’t running in the hills, nothing can beat that feeling of flowing over everything like water.
    So make the most of it whilst you can, because eventually mortality catches up with all of us.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Track running might be very much do-able
    Be careful, you'll get booted off the forum
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I don't know where you are Marco, but sounds like canal towpaths would be perfect for you.
    I'm lucky enough to have lived next to the Leeds-Liverpool a few miles out of Blackburn for the last 20 years and it's very pleasant running out of town towards Chorley especially early morning when you can see Herons and deer.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Hey Marco...let's hope you can get back to a running activity you can enjoy. My self imposed restriction from racing suffered another turn of the screw last autumn when my much abused right ankle finally threw in the towel. A scan showed end stage arthritis. My orthopod advised a replacement as I am too active for a fusion. But he also said give it 5 years as replacements will be better by then. He said if I could stop running altogether that would conserve what I have left. So I now cycle. Its OK but nothing can take the place of running free in the hills....nothing.
    I know what end-stage joint failure is like as my desperately needed op was put back three months by the first lock-down, so I have the greatest sympathy for you.

Before I took up running I was a club cyclist, and I even raced a bit, so I thought returning to cycling would be enough for me. But it's not, it's like an itch you can't scratch. Even if I can only run uphill, I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I don't know where you are Marco, but sounds like canal towpaths would be perfect for you.
    I'm lucky enough to have lived next to the Leeds-Liverpool a few miles out of Blackburn for the last 20 years and it's very pleasant running out of town towards Chorley especially early morning when you can see Herons and deer.
    I'm near to the northern end of the famous Coventry Canal, on the very edge of the Tame valley, in SE Staffordshire. If it goes well I could run along this, but it's a bit, er, boring.

It's competition I miss. I'd be happy finishing last, if I can at least compete

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'm near to the northern end of the famous Coventry Canal, on the very edge of the Tame valley, in SE Staffordshire. If it goes well I could run along this, but it's a bit, er, boring.

It's competition I miss. I'd be happy finishing last, if I can at least compete
    Marco, we could have a forum Midlands canal running championship. Obviously Travs would win but we can fight out the minor placings!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Marco, we could have a forum Midlands canal running championship. Obviously Travs would win but we can fight out the minor placings!
    Or push him in the canal ������
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog