Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I've raced my last race.

Banned
    Well done Wheeze.

Looking after the ladies is why we are on this planet and your doing it for fun.

Keep it up 😉👍

It's good to hear you're back at races Wheeze. It sounds like a very sensible way to enjoy all that's special about fell races, with the added benefits of lasses to chat to.

Oh, I didn't dare join in...the topics were very weighty matters of domestic affairs that I, as a mere man, would have no right or ability to contribute to! As per their expectations I kept schtum and pottered away in manly silence!😉

Accepting that I will never again post meaningful times I have been reflecting on 30 years of racing and trying to decide a top 3.
    Coming in at No 3 is posting second fastest time on Ben Nevis in the Scottish Islands Peaks Race.
    Sliding into No 2 is a 1:49 in the Ben Nevis Race.
    But a solid No 1 is 16th place in the 1991 Peris Horseshoe Race in 3:50:59.

I only just got the number 1 result thanks to the wonder of Facebook. I lost my result sheet years ago and could not remember my time. I knew the result was OK but I'm amazed at it now I have it. Damn!! I was good (for a very short time!!)

How about the rest of us armchair warriors? What are your top 3?? Come on, share!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Well, not racing any more I feel I can post on this.
    3rd The 3 Peaks 2012 in 3.54
    2nd The Wharfedale Off Road Marathon 2011 3rd place in 3.16
    1st The Rosedale 40 mile Ultra 1st place in 6.16 (extremely low key affair, but I am still proud of it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Accepting that I will never again post meaningful times I have been reflecting on 30 years of racing and trying to decide a top 3.
    Coming in at No 3 is posting second fastest time on Ben Nevis in the Scottish Islands Peaks Race.
    Sliding into No 2 is a 1:49 in the Ben Nevis Race.
    But a solid No 1 is 16th place in the 1991 Peris Horseshoe Race in 3:50:59.

I only just got the number 1 result thanks to the wonder of Facebook. I lost my result sheet years ago and could not remember my time. I knew the result was OK but I'm amazed at it now I have it. Damn!! I was good (for a very short time!!)

How about the rest of us armchair warriors? What are your top 3?? Come on, share!
    I still feel i've got room to improve, and a few top tens are my highlight at the moment... but if I could ever hit sub 4:15 on Peris i'd feel like a boss... 3:50 is phenomenal....

My highlight is probably being 3rd to the 1st to the summit at Brecon Beacons last year (whilst taking it easy) shouldn't mention that I eventually finished 8th...

The realisation that I've probably already achieved the most of the improving I can physically do, is slightly sobering...
    Last edited by Travs; 28-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Good to hear from you Jez. All well I hope?
    I made an error...the second fastest Ben time was in the 1989 British Three Peaks Race!

Sad to realise that all those times came in a short burst between 1989 and 1991. Thereafter family/job demands curtailed a serious push for the top. The potential was there but I'm content I gave priority to more important things!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

So Travs, my best times were set when I was 31-33. That was my peak. How about you?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Cheers Wheeze. Pretty good thanks as I’m now running again! A period of rest & reflection makes you realise how lucky you are when you get back up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Good to hear from you Jez. All well I hope?
    I made an error...the second fastest Ben time was in the 1989 British Three Peaks Race!

Sad to realise that all those times came in a short burst between 1989 and 1991. Thereafter family/job demands curtailed a serious push for the top. The potential was there but I'm content I gave priority to more important things!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I'm beginning think that "I've raced my last race". I am going through repeated cycles of my soleus muscle behaving itself for several runs, and then making itself felt painfully for no apparent reason; last Sunday as I stepped out of my front garden onto the pavement at the start of a run (which turned into a walk/run).

Anyway, my top three:

3. Llanbedr-Blaenavon 1995, 4th place.
    2. Moel Siabod 1987, 5th place.
    1. Moel Siabod 1989, 5th place.

Yes, two of them on the same mountain (and the only two occasions I have ever been up that mountain), and all three in the same nation (as Wheeze will be pleased to see). Not only did I finish 5th both times on Moel Siabod, but I was 3rd at the summit on both occasions.

Llanbedr-Blaenavon 1995 was particularly memorable for the ascent of Blorenge. The leading three were well ahead at Llanfoist, and I arrived there in 4th-equal, together with Peter Pollitt and Tim Laney. I was feeling strong, and I took 1m55s out of Peter and even more from Tim between there and Blorenge summit.

Moel Siabod 1987 was particularly memorable for what happened after the race. I had some accommodation for the weekend near Bethesda. It was a beautiful, clear day, not too hot, and as I cycled slowly up towards Ogwen, something on the left of the road was filling my vision and consciousness with an irresistible pull. At 5.30pm I stopped, took off my cycling shoes, put my Walshes back on, and scrambled up the north ridge of Tryfan. Then down to the Bwlch, but with an amazing feat of willpower I managed to stop myself going up Bristly Ridge and risking being still up there as it got dark.

Moel Siabod 1989 was simply the peak of my fell running performance, finishing just 8% slower than Colin Donnelly when he was at his best.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges