Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: I've raced my last race.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    So Travs, my best times were set when I was 31-33. That was my peak. How about you?
    Well i'm still peaking, and maybe got a couple or three years left.... i'm currently 37 so not given up yet...

will enjoy reflecting in a couple of years... probably on the losing side...

I've been pouring through the late 80's early 90's fra magazines and admiring the exploits of Wheeze, A.Kay, etc, doubt i'll ever get there... but won't give up without a fight...!!!

Old man legs are a pest! I must say I found compression socks a real help. Now I'm not pushing so much the problem is not as acute

I’m 47, soon to be 48 & am embracing the slower, more civilised pace!

Hey Anthony, that LB result is ace,. Tim Laney was a very handy runner so to put him to the sword on Blorenge is seriously impressive!
    Hmm, Moel Siabod late 80's. Was 87 or 89 the year when Colin Donnelly won it naked? He got so hot he apparently stripped off completely. Not sure if this is just folk legend or it actually happened?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Hmm, Moel Siabod late 80's. Was 87 or 89 the year when Colin Donnelly won it naked? He got so hot he apparently stripped off completely. Not sure if this is just folk legend or it actually happened?
    I don't remember seeing Colin naked, although I am sure that I would have averted my eyes if he had been!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Tim Laney still going strong, 60th in the Dragons Back last week, have a feeling he may have turned 60 as well, but don't quote me as I may be doing him a disservice.

Come on chaps, let's see some more top 3 lists. I love seeing what other people have done. Missing from my top 3 are winning the youth team event in the Scottish islands peaks race (cos I was not tested for my own racing speed but still v proud for the kids that did it with me) and top 10 placings in south Wales longs. Finally 2nd place at pen y fan did not go in.....I should have won it!

OK, here's mine. Generally dominated by mountain marathons I guess, since I really enjoy the dual mental and physical challenge.
    I couldn't decide on the 3rd one, so have cheekily gone for 4!

3=) Urie Loch, 2008, 2nd place (49:45)

On holiday in Arran and this race was on. I'd never before led a race, and it was especially memorable to be leading at the top of a basically up & down hill race - I've always been a better descender than climber so it was thrilling to be in the lead at the top of the climb. Surely all I needed to do was release the chocks on the descent and win the race?
    But there's always someone better than you and Adam Anderson, who had been in 2nd place at the top, flew past me and gave a masterclass in descending to win by a good margin.
    Still, we returned to the holiday cottage with a bottle of whisky (thanks to Anne as first woman) and other goodies. :-)

3=) Holme Moss, 2008, 6th place (2:47:31)

Some races you just feel good. If I could bottle and sell that sensation I'd be a millionaire.

2) LAMM Score, An Teallach 2017, 1st (with Phil Scarf)

I'd had several top-3 finishes in mountain marathons but not managed to win. I'd been unsure about teaming up with Phil since we both like to navigate so was it going to work? It did work, we had a small lead on the first day and then dominated the second day. Was a great weekend. :-)

1) Highlander MM Score, Kinlochewe 2012, 2nd overall and 1st mixed (with Anne Johnson)

Anne and I were first mixed pair (and never outside the top 6 overall) in every mountain marathon and paired score event we did between 2008 and 2012 - until her long-abused knees were too far gone to run distance any more.
    Those were my favourite days of running. My missing not being able to do them together any more, though, is nothing compared to her missing not being able to do them at all. Still, fellrunning's loss was triathlon's gain for a while until even that became too much.
    The Highlander was probably my favourite of those mountain marathons. A great event. In 2nd place overall overnight, we top-scored on the second day but not enough to catch Charlie Sproson and Lawrence Friell.

Unfortunately looking at that, I think only one (Holme Moss) of those 4 races are still going. :-(
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Great stuff Bill. Was not aware of the Arran race. Only know Goat Fell....and then only from the Scottish islands peaks race. What summits did it do?

Great stuff Bill. Was not aware of the Arran race. Only know Goat Fell....and then only from the Scottish islands peaks race. What summits did it do?
    Embarrassed to say I don't know the name of the hill Wheeze. It was in the lower, less trodden southern half of the island. The race started near Lamlash, went to a summit whose name I don't know, then on open fell to Urie Loch, followed by a wonderful, slippery descent through the forest back to Lamlash.
    I googled it and looks like the last race might have been in 2011.

The hills in the north part of the island including Goatfell are stunning aren't they? Had a great week there and your thread has reminded me I must go again soon...
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"