Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bilsdale Fell Race

Cheers for the info. Not that easy for me to make it along to these unfortunately, but I will keep it in mind.

Had a look around this today. Testing route, with a very nice finishing descent. I'd agree with Tim G in that it's a fantastic addition to the NY Moors races. Blows Blakey Blitz's claim to the toughest moors race, out of sight.

Could not for the life of me find a trod from the bridleway on Bilsdale West Moor down to CP8, ended up just following a bearing and straight-lining it through the heather down to the gap in the wall. I don't think I missed anything obvious, barring a feint sheep trod maybe?

The only other bit that I think that I didn't get right was the climb up to Cringle Moor; again, I couldn't find an obvious trod, but maybe there isn't one?

Great stuff though Quinny, it should be a cracking race
    Last edited by rectorspectre; 30-12-2018 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks very much for the positive feedback. Great to hear. It certainly is a lot tougher than Blakey Blitz being slightly longer and about double the ascent.

You didn't miss anything obvious over to CP8. It's refreshing to hear that someone can use a compass :-)

There are 3 sections over pathless ground:
    1. The final bit of the ascent up to Cringle Moor (CP5) although there is a faint trod which is easier to follow in the other direction.
    2. The second half of the descent down to CP6.
    3. The section from the bridleway to CP8.

On-line entries will open in about a couple of weeks. I'll update on here when they're available.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

25% full with one person entering twice!
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Last couple of days for pre-entry. 88 entrants at the moment so on the day entry almost guaranteed.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Master
    Bother, forgot to enter! Will their be entry on the day? I'm guessing so given the numbers, but...

106 pre-entries so entry on the day is available. Pre-race info will hopefully be on the club web-site and Facebook page shortly but I'll post it here too:

1. On the day parking was going to be at William Beck Farm. However, the field is too wet so we will fit as many cars as possible into the car park at the village hall. When the car park is full parking will be available at the roadside.

2. Registration will be in Chop Gate village hall from 9am. The first thing you will need to do is have your kit checked. You need to have:

Waterproof whole body cover (with taped seams and integrated attached hood) + hat + gloves + map + compass + whistle + emergency food (copies of the map will be available in the hall).

3a Pre-Entries will need to sign next to your name to collect your race number.
    3b On The Day entries will need to fill in the standard FRA form and their own queue.

4. Registration will close at 10.45am. There is a 10 minute walk from the village hall to the start so please ensure you are there in good time.

5. Water will be available at the road crossings at Clay Bank and Carlton Bank and also at CP9 in Scugdale. Please bring a mug or bottle for the water. Plastic cups will not be used. Marshals will also be at the road crossings, please follow any instructions they give you.

6. There will be a pasty, a slice of cake and tea/coffee for each runner in the village hall after you have finished. Please bring your own mug for tea/coffee.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Bilsdale Fell Race

Figuratively speaking: when I heard about Bilsdale, I was doing cartwheels.

Literally speaking: I was genuinely excited about the inaugural Bilsdale fell race. Not only is it a newbie in the fell calendar, it’s also the only category AL race on The North York Moors.

There’s a newbie at work. He looks the outdoorsy type, his beard is the giveaway. It’s not one of them well-groomed hipster beards, it’s bona fide wizard-like facial fuzz in vibrant ginger. Even the majestic specimen of gingerness that is Wharfedale’s Sam Watson pales in comparison; a ginger impostor; a strawberry blonde at best when compared to newbie.

We’ve not yet been formally introduced as the new bloke works on the opposite shift, I’ve only seen him in passing. He has a Brazilian girlfriend: she’s ‘well-fit’...according to my other work colleagues. Their opinions are based on photographic evidence. They brazenly told newbie he’s ‘punching above his weight’. He informed them that in South America redheads are considered exotic and desirable. ‘Bollocks’ was their discourteous reply. However, they did offer their apologies when a search on google confirmed that according to Lonely Planet travel guide: ‘Brazilians love gingers’. To surprise his girlfriend, newbie has been attending samba dance classes. One of the apprentices at work says ‘that’s gay’. He then retracted his derogatory comment once he’d seen a video of the class. He’s thinking of going along to the next one himself. The apprentice says he’s going travelling when he’s served his time, he’s going to Brazil with a bottle of Cherry crush by L’Oréal and some ‘smoking samba moves’...his words, not mine.

There’s an imminent shift change coming up and I’ll become acquainted with my new work colleague. Given his outdoorsy appearance I’m going to recommend that he stays vigilant if he’s to ever visit the affluent Cheshire town of Wilmslow, as there are cougars on the prowl looking for a bit of rough...I speak from experience!

A few years ago whilst on route to Bollington 3 Peaks Fell Race we’re feeling hungry; proper Klempt. It’s only mid morning but Wilmslow’s cafe society is already vibrant. My wife turns off the in-car heavy metal, saying ‘it’s inappropriate for the area’. She’s feeling cultured and substitutes the emphatic metal beats for the musical complexity of Dire Straits. I’m told they were one of Lady Diana’s favourite bands, along with Duran Duran. I thank my wife for sharing her insightful knowledge on the listening habits of the late Princess. I make a mental note to tell my mum, she’ll find it interesting as she likes royal family trivia.

Wilmslow’s salubrious eating establishments had caught Alison’s attention. She suggests we stop for ‘brunch’. Not one to disappoint I attempt to park the Nissan between two prestigious motors.

The disapproving glances from the onlooking movers and shakers had made me nervous. I’m normally not too bad at parallel parking but was feeling pressurised under the watchful eyes of the Cheshire set. The tricky manoeuvre was eventually accomplished at the third attempt, by now out of embarrassment, Alison had sunk down the passenger seat out of view of prying eyes. She left me hanging when I went for a complimentary high-five. ‘Piece of piss’ I joyously declared. ‘Absolutely fabulous darling, third time lucky’ was my wife’s satirical riposte.

We’re spoilt for choice: the eateries have a continental vibe, pasta and tapas compliment the high street ambience. We’re pleasantly surprised there’s a Greggs as we can’t resist it’s diverse range of savoury pastry snacks, sandwiches and cakes...bakery dining par excellence. Partaking in Wilmslow’s cafe society is put on hold as Greggs is calling. Alison’s on the ball and downloaded an app to her phone where Greggs loyalty is rewarded with points that are exchanged for free products. My wife’s enterprising endeavour is commendable: we’ve been in Wilmslow less than an hour and already Alison is displaying a level of sophistication that leaves me gushing with pride. I complement her astuteness as she nips off to Greggs with a spring in her step.

I’m sat on a bench situated within Wilmslow’s pedestrianised high street. Nellie our scruffy little Border Terrier is sat upon my lap. She’s licking her privates, admittedly her actions aren’t very ladylike (especially in Wilmslow) but I don’t reprimand her as she looks content. Eventually I nudge her to stop as we have company. We’re joined by two elderly ladies, both are elegantly dressed but I find their large sunglasses excessive. They look towards me and start to make conversation, I instantly notice my reflection within their cumbersome shades...elegant in appearance I’m not. Alternately, I’m questioned: How old is your dog? Is your dog your best friend? Does your dog keep you warm at night?...I found their inquisitiveness strange and intrusive but I remained polite.

Alison arrives with brunch and whilst passing me my sausage roll and brew says “no burping, no slurping”...we both laughed. I enquire to the whereabouts of my goat cheese and avocado brioche sandwich, with just a soupçon of chives? I’m told to eat my roll and stop being a knob. The elders gathered up their collection of boutique shopping bags and say their goodbyes, both looked surprised by Alison’s arrival. Nellie’s nostrils start twitching, she’s surprised by the sausage rolls arrival.

Alison informs me I look dazed and confused. I come straight out with it...”I think two cougars have just tried chatting me up, I feel like a piece of meat?”. I then informed her about the questioning. I’m surprised with her reaction: she did nowt but laugh. I’m told not to flatter myself as the so called cougars obviously thought I was homeless. Much discussion followed where we ‘agree to disagree’. If Alison’s speculation is correct, it’s fair to say the elderly ladies of Wilmslow weren’t familiar with outdoorsy chic and I’m not familiar with being chatted up.

So...what’s the verdict on Bilsdale Fell Race: It’s beltin!

At just over 15 miles with approximately 4200ft of climb it’s not a race to be underestimated. Especially given the sometimes unsympathetic North York Moors terrain where focal points can be few and far between. Navigation on Bilsdale fell race can be challenging. This is a proper fell race: an unmarked race route ran over open moorland...intrinsic fellrunning.

Many thanks to Mike and all his helpers. Special mention for the ‘free’ pasties, cakes and countless brews that were served up in the excellent Chop Gate village hall.
    Well done race winners Neal Crampton and Katie Hiffe.

Coincidentally...today I’ve been told I’m working with newbie for the first time next week. He actually has a name, he’s called Oliver. The lads at work say he’s a decent bloke and in time I’ll regale him with my Wilmslow experience, which still leaves me feeling in dire straits. In time I’ll also show Oliver this ‘race report’ which may leave him in dire straits...’brothers in arms’.

As for Oliver’s Brazilian girlfriend, who am I to judge? I’ve been ‘punching above my weight’ for years.
    Last edited by Tindersticks; 17-03-2019 at 11:29 PM.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Remember running around the Lancaster park run with your Alison, last summer. Her little asides & put downs always make me smile.
    Back in '71 & '72 I did a trip as a fireman / greaser on a Shell oil tanker. Most of it was down Venezuela and Brazil. We had a 16 year-old deck boy on the crew, a proper little Scots ginger, only about 5' 3". Those S. American women ripped him to shreds on every run ashore. Seemingly it's the novelty of bearing a red haired baby that gets them all sparked up! The indigenous guys are all black haired and there's plenty of blondes as a good percentage of the Third Reich headed down there at the end of hostilities

Ian.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 18-03-2019 at 01:32 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!