Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bilsdale Fell Race

Nice one Ian.

Thumbs up A brilliant, brutal, race

What a brutal, brutal route

If the weather had been 24hrs delayed it might have been brutal brutal ++

Great race, fabulous addition to the moors - and by far and away the hardest.

The 'W' down to the scout hut, up to windy corner and down and up to Carlton Bank was bonkers! The vertical bog down the stream memorable - launching jumps into knee deep sludge was 'interesting'. Brilliant.

If it had ended somewhere near there I might finished in a knackered state...as it didn't I was totally banjaxed.

Having done a few recces certainly helped - I'm sure a few had 'fun' finding a short or direct route to CP8, local knowledge wins out

Then it went right Pete Tong, both legs locked solid with cramp at Brian's Pond (lightweight I know), absolute nightmare getting the b*ggers back working. Never had such total cramp... a route that just kept giving!

Scugdale - only one more uphill...but 2.5miles of it...argghhh.

I love downhills, only thing I'm really any good at, disengage brain and 'go', but much as I was looking forward to that last mile my legs were just not doing it - I was just happy not to have anyone pass me, I don't think I'd have been able to live with the shame!

Be interesting to see if everyone got all the CPs, it was very welcome to have a race for navigators. I was surprised that even by CP 7 the race wasn't really strung out into a lot of space between runners

My legs hurt after finishing and wouldn't work later on after falling out of car at home, but they'll catch up with my brain which is wired and buzzing.

Well done, a great (brutal, bonkers, welcome) route and a truly great addition.

Oh - and thanks for the free pasties, cake and buckets of tea at end - Yorkshire value (and to the marshal's who had some bleak spots to attend).
    Last edited by Fritz; 18-03-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Bilsdale Fell Race

Figuratively speaking: when I heard about Bilsdale, I was doing cartwheels.

Literally speaking: I was genuinely excited about the inaugural Bilsdale fell race. Not only is it a newbie in the fell calendar, it’s also the only category AL race on The North York Moors.

There’s a newbie at work. He looks the outdoorsy type, his beard is the giveaway. It’s not one of them well-groomed hipster beards, it’s bona fide wizard-like facial fuzz in vibrant ginger. Even the majestic specimen of gingerness that is Wharfedale’s Sam Watson pales in comparison; a ginger impostor; a strawberry blonde at best when compared to newbie.

We’ve not yet been formally introduced as the new bloke works on the opposite shift, I’ve only seen him in passing. He has a Brazilian girlfriend: she’s ‘well-fit’...according to my other work colleagues. Their opinions are based on photographic evidence. They brazenly told newbie he’s ‘punching above his weight’. He informed them that in South America redheads are considered exotic and desirable. ‘Bollocks’ was their discourteous reply. However, they did offer their apologies when a search on google confirmed that according to Lonely Planet travel guide: ‘Brazilians love gingers’. To surprise his girlfriend, newbie has been attending samba dance classes. One of the apprentices at work says ‘that’s gay’. He then retracted his derogatory comment once he’d seen a video of the class. He’s thinking of going along to the next one himself. The apprentice says he’s going travelling when he’s served his time, he’s going to Brazil with a bottle of Cherry crush by L’Oréal and some ‘smoking samba moves’...his words, not mine.

There’s an imminent shift change coming up and I’ll become acquainted with my new work colleague. Given his outdoorsy appearance I’m going to recommend that he stays vigilant if he’s to ever visit the affluent Cheshire town of Wilmslow, as there are cougars on the prowl looking for a bit of rough...I speak from experience!

A few years ago whilst on route to Bollington 3 Peaks Fell Race we’re feeling hungry; proper Klempt. It’s only mid morning but Wilmslow’s cafe society is already vibrant. My wife turns off the in-car heavy metal, saying ‘it’s inappropriate for the area’. She’s feeling cultured and substitutes the emphatic metal beats for the musical complexity of Dire Straits. I’m told they were one of Lady Diana’s favourite bands, along with Duran Duran. I thank my wife for sharing her insightful knowledge on the listening habits of the late Princess. I make a mental note to tell my mum, she’ll find it interesting as she likes royal family trivia.

Wilmslow’s salubrious eating establishments had caught Alison’s attention. She suggests we stop for ‘brunch’. Not one to disappoint I attempt to park the Nissan between two prestigious motors.

The disapproving glances from the onlooking movers and shakers had made me nervous. I’m normally not too bad at parallel parking but was feeling pressurised under the watchful eyes of the Cheshire set. The tricky manoeuvre was eventually accomplished at the third attempt, by now out of embarrassment, Alison had sunk down the passenger seat out of view of prying eyes. She left me hanging when I went for a complimentary high-five. ‘Piece of piss’ I joyously declared. ‘Absolutely fabulous darling, third time lucky’ was my wife’s satirical riposte.

We’re spoilt for choice: the eateries have a continental vibe, pasta and tapas compliment the high street ambience. We’re pleasantly surprised there’s a Greggs as we can’t resist it’s diverse range of savoury pastry snacks, sandwiches and cakes...bakery dining par excellence. Partaking in Wilmslow’s cafe society is put on hold as Greggs is calling. Alison’s on the ball and downloaded an app to her phone where Greggs loyalty is rewarded with points that are exchanged for free products. My wife’s enterprising endeavour is commendable: we’ve been in Wilmslow less than an hour and already Alison is displaying a level of sophistication that leaves me gushing with pride. I complement her astuteness as she nips off to Greggs with a spring in her step.

I’m sat on a bench situated within Wilmslow’s pedestrianised high street. Nellie our scruffy little Border Terrier is sat upon my lap. She’s licking her privates, admittedly her actions aren’t very ladylike (especially in Wilmslow) but I don’t reprimand her as she looks content. Eventually I nudge her to stop as we have company. We’re joined by two elderly ladies, both are elegantly dressed but I find their large sunglasses excessive. They look towards me and start to make conversation, I instantly notice my reflection within their cumbersome shades...elegant in appearance I’m not. Alternately, I’m questioned: How old is your dog? Is your dog your best friend? Does your dog keep you warm at night?...I found their inquisitiveness strange and intrusive but I remained polite.

Alison arrives with brunch and whilst passing me my sausage roll and brew says “no burping, no slurping”...we both laughed. I enquire to the whereabouts of my goat cheese and avocado brioche sandwich, with just a soupçon of chives? I’m told to eat my roll and stop being a knob. The elders gathered up their collection of boutique shopping bags and say their goodbyes, both looked surprised by Alison’s arrival. Nellie’s nostrils start twitching, she’s surprised by the sausage rolls arrival.

Alison informs me I look dazed and confused. I come straight out with it...”I think two cougars have just tried chatting me up, I feel like a piece of meat?”. I then informed her about the questioning. I’m surprised with her reaction: she did nowt but laugh. I’m told not to flatter myself as the so called cougars obviously thought I was homeless. Much discussion followed where we ‘agree to disagree’. If Alison’s speculation is correct, it’s fair to say the elderly ladies of Wilmslow weren’t familiar with outdoorsy chic and I’m not familiar with being chatted up.

So...what’s the verdict on Bilsdale Fell Race: It’s beltin!

At just over 15 miles with approximately 4200ft of climb it’s not a race to be underestimated. Especially given the sometimes unsympathetic North York Moors terrain where focal points can be few and far between. Navigation on Bilsdale fell race can be challenging. This is a proper fell race: an unmarked race route ran over open moorland...intrinsic fellrunning.

Many thanks to Mike and all his helpers. Special mention for the ‘free’ pasties, cakes and countless brews that were served up in the excellent Chop Gate village hall.
    Well done race winners Neal Crampton and Katie Hiffe.

Coincidentally...today I’ve been told I’m working with newbie for the first time next week. He actually has a name, he’s called Oliver. The lads at work say he’s a decent bloke and in time I’ll regale him with my Wilmslow experience, which still leaves me feeling in dire straits. In time I’ll also show Oliver this ‘race report’ which may leave him in dire straits...’brothers in arms’.

As for Oliver’s Brazilian girlfriend, who am I to judge? I’ve been ‘punching above my weight’ for years.
    Thanks for the write up Darren. Brilliant as always
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Results finished and should be published soon. I've literally spent hours trying to work out which runners missed CP7 or CP9. Marshals did a great job recording but the extra runner certainly didn't help

Going to look into dibber system for next year!
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Quinny View Post
    Results finished and should be published soon. I've literally spent hours trying to work out which runners missed CP7 or CP9. Marshals did a great job recording but the extra runner certainly didn't help

Going to look into dibber system for next year!
    Credit to marshal's as they must have had folk coming at them from all angles - particularly CP8, eyes left - eyes right - eyes up, not easy if a surge of runners - good luck

Thanks for the positive report Fritz. Glad you "enjoyed" it

Funnily enough it was CP9 not CP8 which caused the most problems. Everyone managed to get to CP8 although I don't think many runners took the same route. The Strava flybys are well worth a look.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Results out:

http://www.eskvalleyfellclub.org/res...7-Mar-2019.pdf

Please let me know of any mistakes or amendments. Thank you for your patience.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Quote Originally Posted by Quinny View Post
    Results out:

http://www.eskvalleyfellclub.org/res...7-Mar-2019.pdf

Please let me know of any mistakes or amendments. Thank you for your patience.
    cheers Mike
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Entries now open for this year's race:

https://www.sportsentrysolutions.com...ecordID=201328
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club