Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nine standards 2019

Nine standards 2019

Just a quick message to say next year's race is going ahead but with a new organiser due to a holiday clash .I will be back

Brill, been keeping a keen eye on the 2019 calendar for it, glad to see it's on
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Looking at doing this as well. Had been planning to do Tour of Llyn Llydaw, but fancy this now.

Holiday cancelled hope to see you all there. Weather looking good .britty

Heading up to this from the Midlands, very much looking forward to it...

I ran a recce last month in the clag, brilliant as ever! Can't wait.
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

I debated long and hard about spending approx 6 hours on the M6 for a race lasting approx 1 hour, but I am so glad that I did. Fantastic race, in a beautiful part of the world.

Last time I headed in this direction was for the Weasdale Horseshoe, and I couldn't see further than the end of my nose. Today the weather was bright sunshine and generally cloudless skies, making for a fantastic drive into Kirkby Stephen.

Some amusement was caused by the town being swamped with Sunderland fans, using it as a stop-off for their match in Blackpool. For those that don't know, there's somewhat of a rivalry between Coventry and Sunderland, not helped by a large-scale riot at the match earlier this season, so this sight was a bit of a red rag to a bull for me.... as one of the coaches came past I couldn't resist unveiling my Cov Godiva vest right in front of their window.

All the races I've done over xmas and the new year have had a special atmosphere and almost felt as much as a local event as a standard Fell race. Today was no different, starting bang in the centre of town, and a good number of spectators particularly on the lower half of the course. The course being a bit of a dash out of town and some parkland by the river, then taking a rising road and track to the open Fell. Up to the summit and back the way you came.

As to the race, I started conservatively, learning from my past mistakes, and once out of town stretched my legs a little and progressed through the pack. After about 10 minutes I'd settled into a position and was only 20-30secs behind Daz Tindersticks, so must have been moving well. I set about trying to catch him, knowing he'd murder me on the descent and I'd need a significant head start... I never did catch him, too strong, and hit the summit in about 39mins, 40-50secs behind Daz. Turned for home, reaching the finish line in a pleasing 1hr06. The fact that I lost 8 places on the descent confirmed exactly where my weaknesses lie. But I'd been hoping for sub 1hr10, whilst expecting to be closer to 1hr15, so was pleased with the run out.

My one regret is that I'd been hoping to take in the view on the other side of the Pennine Ridge once I got to the summit. Sadly, race fever had taken over by that point, and I was so knackered and pre-occupied with starting my descent that I didn't even look up when rounding the cairn.

Great to see and speak to forumites Tindersticks, Calvin, FellUpFellDown before and after, before the long drive home.

I was briefly discussing race reports with Tindersticks after the race, and I guess I do focus a lot on the race itself, my position and time. This might seem a bit obsessive, seeing as I'm not exactly challenging the Carl Bells and Simon Baileys of this world. Obviously I am completely aware of the other factors which make Fell Running such a great sport, but at the end of the day I'm a racer. I do invest a lot of time training and travelling, and a lot of petrol and accommodation money getting to races. I certainly didn't travel 3 hours this morning to just "have a run out"...!

And for me that is one of the best parts of Fell-racing... everybody is so friendly, and will even chat to you during an excruciating climb, but at the end of the day they'll race you to within an inch of your life...!

Great start to 2019.
    Last edited by Travs; 01-01-2019 at 07:44 PM.

There is something really nice about being out on new years day (aside from the smugness factor), maybe starting the year with a race gives us a sense of what might be to come, or just being with similar minded people gets us off on the right foot (no pun intended). As i said to Darren at the end, at least the rest of us can say we have done as many races as him so far this year anyway. Have done this race the last three years and its become a bit of a club ‘tradition’ for some of us, long may it continue. Sunderland’s win will hopefully have calmed down the fans you were goading Travs!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I debated long and hard about spending approx 6 hours on the M6 for a race lasting approx 1 hour, but I am so glad that I did. Fantastic race, in a beautiful part of the world.

Last time I headed in this direction was for the Weasdale Horseshoe, and I couldn't see further than the end of my nose. Today the weather was bright sunshine and generally cloudless skies, making for a fantastic drive into Kirkby Stephen.

Some amusement was caused by the town being swamped with Sunderland fans, using it as a stop-off for their match in Blackpool. For those that don't know, there's somewhat of a rivalry between Coventry and Sunderland, not helped by a large-scale riot at the match earlier this season, so this sight was a bit of a red rag to a bull for me.... as one of the coaches came past I couldn't resist unveiling my Cov Godiva vest right in front of their window.

All the races I've done over xmas and the new year have had a special atmosphere and almost felt as much as a local event as a standard Fell race. Today was no different, starting bang in the centre of town, and a good number of spectators particularly on the lower half of the course. The course being a bit of a dash out of town and some parkland by the river, then taking a rising road and track to the open Fell. Up to the summit and back the way you came.

As to the race, I started conservatively, learning from my past mistakes, and once out of town stretched my legs a little and progressed through the pack. After about 10 minutes I'd settled into a position and was only 20-30secs behind Daz Tindersticks, so must have been moving well. I set about trying to catch him, knowing he'd murder me on the descent and I'd need a significant head start... I never did catch him, too strong, and hit the summit in about 39mins, 40-50secs behind Daz. Turned for home, reaching the finish line in a pleasing 1hr06. The fact that I lost 8 places on the descent confirmed exactly where my weaknesses lie. But I'd been hoping for sub 1hr10, whilst expecting to be closer to 1hr15, so was pleased with the run out.

My one regret is that I'd been hoping to take in the view on the other side of the Pennine Ridge once I got to the summit. Sadly, race fever had taken over by that point, and I was so knackered and pre-occupied with starting my descent that I didn't even look up when rounding the cairn.

Great to see and speak to forumites Tindersticks, Calvin, FellUpFellDown before and after, before the long drive home.

I was briefly discussing race reports with Tindersticks after the race, and I guess I do focus a lot on the race itself, my position and time. This might seem a bit obsessive, seeing as I'm not exactly challenging the Carl Bells and Simon Baileys of this world. Obviously I am completely aware of the other factors which make Fell Running such a great sport, but at the end of the day I'm a racer. I do invest a lot of time training and travelling, and a lot of petrol and accommodation money getting to races. I certainly didn't travel 3 hours this morning to just "have a run out"...!

And for me that is one of the best parts of Fell-racing... everybody is so friendly, and will even chat to you during an excruciating climb, but at the end of the day they'll race you to within an inch of your life...!

Great start to 2019.
    Great informative post as ever Pete. You're running well, keep it up pal.
    All the best for 2019.

Cheers Daz.... well raced, and good to see you.

I'm sure the running and literary worlds are waiting your report with far more interest than mine!