Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Plastics? Who's to blame?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Similar thing here. I try and reduce the amount of personal plastic I consume but working for a medical diagnostic company, I'm aware of the mountain of single use, disposable plastic containers and pipette tips etc we get through on a weekly basis.

A nurse friend of mine gave us loads of Freezer packs, yep you gussed it - single use. They get chilled medical products delivered and the freezer packs are discarded afterwards.

This is just pure lazyness/cost cutting by business where they will not put in the reverse-logistics infrastrucure.

@bigfella, that would be a shame for those in rural communities who actually want or need the ability to shop locally. the mini-supermarkets fill that need where it is often not viable for an independent retailer and/or the independent could not possibly offer the range and quality that a mini-supermarket can. why should those in rural areas be deprived of that amenity?

ESA tells Tories to back plastic producer responsibility - https://www.mrw.co.uk/latest/esa-tel...035655.article

this is going to feature in the government's waste strategy, to be announced in the next few weeks. it is a positive and sensible step in my opinion. the whole system from manufacturing to consumer and waste industry have a part to play.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    A nurse friend of mine gave us loads of Freezer packs, yep you gussed it - single use. They get chilled medical products delivered and the freezer packs are discarded afterwards.

This is just pure lazyness/cost cutting by business where they will not put in the reverse-logistics infrastrucure.
    Infection control?
    Even I don't know who The Grump is.
    I. Bickerstaff

Very good point, but I fear these (inter)national retailers often force the smaller local shops to close through marketing/pricing muscle. We are very fortunate in having a Spar run by the chap who also runs the local garage, it's a bit different in that he stocks a great deal of locally produced items. I guess it all just a ongoing process of change with Amazon possibly being the next disruptor in this segment.

Anyway back to plastic...
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

As TheGrump rightly points out, plastic is not in itself bad. it serves some very important purposes in improving life for people across the world, in terms of medical and other purposes. the problem is how to regulate its use as part of a circular economy , and minimise the use of difficult-to-recycle and single-use plastic in particular. consumers, manufacturers, retailers, the waste industry industry and regulators all have a part to play. the forthcoming enhanced producer-responsibility regime will be a key part in this.

It is up to people to vote with their wallet IMO.

Supermarkets could cut down on plastic, as could many food manufacturers. I now use Morrisons as they have switched to paper bags and are attempting to reduce food waste by selling wonky veg. If their sales go up no doubt other retailers will follow suit.

Good on you Calen. you are right to say we can vote with our wallet.

Though, if you take your own bags you're not restricted to Morrisons in that respect.

Personally i think it's more about what and how much you buy amd dispose of, and how you dispose of it (or recycle where possible), than it is about which supermarket or other retailer you buy it from. the retailer doesn't really create the plastic, it is just the final part of the supply chain getting the goods the consumer in the way the consumer wants them (price and freshness/quality obviously being two of the main drivers for the consumer in terms of food).

If anyone’s really keen.

SWMBO makes our own soap, shampoo, and deodorant easily enough. The deodorant is surprisingly effective, creates an alkaline solution bacteria can’t develop in.

Oh, shaving soap as well.

You still get some plastic waste from the raw materials packaging buts it’s an awful lot less.
    pies