Thread: Skye

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Skye

An excess of annual leave means I've been able to book a week in Skye in mid-Feb. Staying in a cottage in Sconser (just down the road from the ferry terminal to Rasaay, a couple of miles from Silgichan, and about a dozen or so miles south of Portree).

Obviously running and hills will feature massively. Had hoped i could get a trip over to St Kilda but it appears to be fairly impossible at that time of year. Also, whilst i'm happy being out all day (and more), and will be carrying spikes, i'm certainly no winter-grade mountaineer.

I've planned a few things out...

- Trotternish Ridge
    - Silgichan to Loch Coruisk and the coast
    - Some kind of run out from the door, including Glamaig, Marco, possible Blaven.
    - I'd like to venture in the direction of the high Cuillins, but time of year, weather, and my own limitations may restrict me here.
    - At least one trip across to the mainland to do something (if weather permits, maybe Beinn Fhada, or at the very least a long flatter day out around Glen Affric/Glen Sheil area).
    - A trip over to Rasaay on the ferry and a day spent running the moors and beaches, hopefully covering the majority of the island.

Anyone with experience of this beautiful area, want to tell me of anything glaring which I've missed out? I'm well aware i could spend weeks on Skye and not get everywhere, but the above would seem to be a decent haul for a first visit?
    Last edited by Travs; 13-11-2018 at 02:26 PM.