Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skye

Thanks very much, I'll check that out shortly, along with a glance at the OS map regarding your Fionn Coire suggestion.

Well i'm on my way on Saturday.

With regards to weather/visibility, i'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

In particular looking forward to a long run out to Loch Coriusk/Camunsary area, probably on sunday, and the Trotternish Ridge, possibly on Tuesday.

Also looking forward to the drive through the Highlands as much as anything... it'll certainly beat my normal M6 commute!

Had a few cracking runs up & down Ben Tianavaig a few years back. Staggering path right up the edge of the cliff with amazing views. At the top it looks out over Portree. Also, get yourself a pizza from Cafe Sia in Broadford. Beautiful. Don’t sat nav it & end up in Bradford though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

With regards to weather/visibility, i'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

In particular looking forward to a long run out to Loch Coriusk/Camunsary area, probably on sunday, and the Trotternish Ridge, possibly on Tuesday.

Also looking forward to the drive through the Highlands as much as anything... it'll certainly beat my normal M6 commute!
    The very words from Jack Reacher a Character from a cracking series of books by Lee Child who hails from Coventry the same as you Travs.

Enjoy Sky I always do, shame you are going before the Glenelg ferry starts running as I find the ferry preferable to the bridge, but hey can`t stand in the wy of progress.
    Last edited by JohnK; 14-02-2019 at 11:34 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Had a few cracking runs up & down Ben Tianavaig a few years back. Staggering path right up the edge of the cliff with amazing views. At the top it looks out over Portree. Also, get yourself a pizza from Cafe Sia in Broadford. Beautiful. Don’t sat nav it & end up in Bradford though.
    Was up there today! My favourite short run on Skye in any weather. It's got the best descent, 2 miles of flat out. If you descend down northward there's a great mini Quiraing/Storr area that no-one ever visits. One of my favourite lunch hour runs.

Weather's OK at the moment. Mild with a strong South westerly. Theres no snow on Trotternish Ridge. Snow down to about 500m in Cuillin. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Neilly/Jez.... can you advise where I pick the path up for Ben Tianavaig....? Is it from the Portree side, the road, or the south? Doesn't seem to be a path shown on OS. (and I haven't checked my Harvey map)

Or can I just blast across country and make my own way?

Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    Was up there today! My favourite short run on Skye in any weather. It's got the best descent, 2 miles of flat out. If you descend down northward there's a great mini Quiraing/Storr area that no-one ever visits. One of my favourite lunch hour runs.
    It is incredible. That path, at times, is not for the faint hearted!! A favourite "lunch time run"? You are very lucky Neilly!!

Neilly/Jez.... can you advise where I pick the path up for Ben Tianavaig....? Is it from the Portree side, the road, or the south? Doesn't seem to be a path shown on OS. (and I haven't checked my Harvey map)

Or can I just blast across country and make my own way?
    Easest way is to drive to Camustianavaig and park beside the sea. Follow the road uphill for 200m and take path marked Hill Path. Just follow the obvious path. It's only 4 miles return with 1300ft but you can extend it. You can also pick up a faint path on the eastern side of it. Head away from car across the shore, pick up a faint path running just above sea level beside the Sound of Raasay. Go.along for a couple of miles till you get to an obvious flat bit then climb straight up through bearing NW. Aim for a mini Old Man of Storr to get onto the ridge then head S to get to summit.

Fantastic, thanks Neilly!