Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Gloves /Mitts

Super Moderator
    +1 for Buffalo

Although written from the perspective of a climber rather than a runner, I love this article by Andy Kirkpatrick:

https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/article...h_about_gloves

'when I worked in an outdoor shop and people asked for waterproof gloves I would recommend Marigolds"

If I'm out in the cold and rain I wear a pair of dispoable gloves inside my Buffs or Sealskin, never get wet or cold.
    John Marsh

I didn't want to spend £40-50 on some Extremities Mitts, so got some Army Surplus ones on ebay like below.
    The inner is warm and the outer is light and goretex - tried and tested.
    Would recommend, especially for the price

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extreme-C...s/264229945598

Cold hands are the bane of my winter fell running (and sometimes in the summer too!). I've tried a whole range of different gloves/mitts of various materials, and most have proven less than satisfactory, always leading to disappointment.

Up until this winter, the best option for me was a pair (or two - one in reserve) of Sealskinz, 'waterproof' (!) gloves with a merino liner. Not bad, but eventually they too let the water in and my hands start to chill, despite the merino lining.

So, this winter I've eschewed the outdoor shops and I've been trying a pair of work-gloves from my local building suppliers. After a couple of months of wearing these for running and dog-walking (wet Frisbee throwing) on the fells, I've been impressed. They most certainly are liquid proof, having been designed to cope with a range of chemicals, and can take a far deal of abrasion too. Initially, I was a bit suspicious that wearing what appear to be rubber gloves might have a 'marigold' effect, causing sweat, etc. - but no, all good.

I've only tried the 'zero' version of Maxidry, as they have a synthetic 'fleece' lining, so feel comfortable against the skin.

See: MaxiDry Zero 56-451 Cold Condition Work Glove with Thermal Lining and Full Double-Dipped Nitrile Coating.

https://www.workgloves.co.uk/maxidry...es-56-451.html
    Am Yisrael Chai

Cold hands are the bane of my winter fell running (and sometimes in the summer too!). I've tried a whole range of different gloves/mitts of various materials, and most have proven less than satisfactory, always leading to disappointment.

Up until this winter, the best option for me was a pair (or two - one in reserve) of Sealskinz, 'waterproof' (!) gloves with a merino liner. Not bad, but eventually they too let the water in and my hands start to chill, despite the merino lining.

So, this winter I've eschewed the outdoor shops and I've been trying a pair of work-gloves from my local building suppliers. After a couple of months of wearing these for running and dog-walking (wet Frisbee throwing) on the fells, I've been impressed. They most certainly are liquid proof, having been designed to cope with a range of chemicals, and can take a far deal of abrasion too. Initially, I was a bit suspicious that wearing what appear to be rubber gloves might have a 'marigold' effect, causing sweat, etc. - but no, all good.

I've only tried the 'zero' version of Maxidry, as they have a synthetic 'fleece' lining, so feel comfortable against the skin.

See: MaxiDry Zero 56-451 Cold Condition Work Glove with Thermal Lining and Full Double-Dipped Nitrile Coating.

Am Yisrael Chai

Am Yisrael Chai

I use a pair of basic Nike running gloves (the thin type you see in all the commercial running shops).

To be honest they generally do the job for me 90% of the winter... however i pair them up with a big pair of skiing type gloves when it gets really cold.

On a vaguely interesting note, my coach is really big on preventing suffering/injury through the cold.... basically between the autumn and spring road relays (ie between late september/early october, and end of march), we are generally expected to turn up to training in long sleeves and bottoms.

Thanks Mossdog. They look good. I've tried so many gloves over the years. I recently got some lightweight Inov8 waterproof mitts, which are great, but I've already punctured them on a barb wire fence (probably shouldn't have been climbing it!).

I think body temperature is a factor too. If you are poorly dressed your circulation will shut down to your extremities, shorts in winter is a prime example.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent