Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Gloves /Mitts

Waterproof Gloves /Mitts

My typical winter glove option is a waterprrof shell (Montane mitts) over a standard inexpensive liner glove. My Montanes have been okay, but are often full of water and are now pretty much goosed, so I need a new solution.

Anyone have any recommendations? If I repeat the mitt shell option, there seems to be OMMKamlieka or Inov8 shells.

Have also seen these Sealskinz gloves, which are claimed as waterproof, and if so would be great for dexterity, and perhaps could be put under a shell for total proofing? - https://www.sealskinz.com/ultra-grip...black-grey.htm

Buffalo mitts. Lousy grip but I've never had cold hands with them on and always had cold hands with any other glove tries.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Buffalo mitts are definitely well toasty and my preferred option when it goes below freezing. Not particularly waterproof though but to be honest, I'm yet to find any that really are. The inov8 all terrain pro mitts are not fully waterproof either. Bought these from PBS at the LDMT 2 years ago. Admittedly the weather was of biblical proportions but they were soaked by CP2. They were still warm though!

Master
    No gloves are waterproof as there is this huge hole at one end. I find the best way to keep my hands warm is to keep my body warm, and to keep the wind off my hands. If you are on true fell, and handling rocks from time to time, it will wear out a lot of gloves (Sealskins for example) very quickly. Those that don't wear out quickly are usually heavy and bulky, particularly once wet. The best compromise I have found are the Venta Arcteryx gloves - windproof, relatively lightweight, and long-wearing.

I found the Inov8 ones pretty good, if a bit small around the wrist making them a bit harder to get on but a good warm cover for the price. They saw me through some pretty rough days on the hill and I believe they now come with a wrist strap (i sewed my own in) to make losing them whilst faffing with your hands less likely.

Pretty hacked off that they didn't come back from the OMM - I was losing gloves all weekend and I get the feeling they accidentally ended up in the skip at mid-camp having been placed next to a rubbish pile
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Thanks for replies. Think I will take a look at the Inov8s. Buffalo ones look great but not sure about the pertex

Last night we were out over Whernside in pretty wet but incredibly windy conditions. I was totally cushty in Buffalo mitts, albeit they were very wet & soggy on returning to Ribblehead.
    My (much younger and fitter) running partner was wearing what appeared to be lighter but more 'technical' gloves (I don't know their actual provenance) and she was really suffering with her hands.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I agree with Mike - Venta Arc'teryx gloves are the best. I used them for ski touring as well. Now, as I'm not able to ski anymore, I wear these for each run.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    My typical winter glove option is a waterprrof shell (Montane mitts) over a standard inexpensive liner glove. My Montanes have been okay, but are often full of water and are now pretty much goosed, so I need a new solution.

Anyone have any recommendations? If I repeat the mitt shell option, there seems to be OMMKamlieka or Inov8 shells.

Have also seen these Sealskinz gloves, which are claimed as waterproof, and if so would be great for dexterity, and perhaps could be put under a shell for total proofing? - https://www.sealskinz.com/ultra-grip...black-grey.htm
    You may also check the Altitude-Sports reviews on Arc'teryx Venta gloves.

I bought a pair of fleece lined waterproof mitts over two years ago from Mountain Warehouse. They have been great and all for £15!