Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof socks?

Waterproof socks?

I seem to have a problem on winter fell runs that once my feet get wet they never seem to warm up and go numb especially bad at high elevation often not thawing out until I'm back on lower slopes.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for waterproof socks or thermal socks that help keep your feet warm even after they've got wet? Have tried Sealskinz and my feet got soaked straight away!
    Last edited by RCKM73; 26-11-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Try here:-

https://www.twfshop.co.uk/socks-132-c.asp

They've served me well for several winters now - cheaper than Sealskinz and far more longevity.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Master
    Try Dexshell - more foot shaped than Sealskins, and from reviews it would seem they last longer. I have been wearing them for the last week and am amazed at how warm my feet are. I wear a thin pair of Injinji's underneath, and they are invariably dry. RRP is £25, but if you look around you should be able to get them for less.

Just bought a pair of the new Bridgedale waterproof socks, mainly for winter walking as I assume they're going to inevitably going to get sweaty when running, but had a quick 5 mile trot in them last week and was impressed. No wet feet, despite running through some deep boggy stuff, and very little sweat build up. Lifetime guarantee, too.
    https://www.bridgedale.com/mens/waterproof

Anyone tried the Inov8 neoprene socks ?

https://www.inov-8.com/extreme-thermo-sock-high-black

Thumbs up Re Waterproof socks

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Try here:-

https://www.twfshop.co.uk/socks-132-c.asp

They've served me well for several winters now - cheaper than Sealskinz and far more longevity.
    Thanks all, I've ordered some of these for now and also some Injinjis

I have quite an old-school attitude to this. I have the view that if you're out running in the cold and wet, and in Fell shoes, let's face it you're feet are going to get soaked. Accept it and live with it.

I've done some very cold, wet, winter races, and none of my toes have fell off (yet), wearing nothing more than a standard pair of Inov8 or Bridgedale socks, perhaps a pair of merino Inov8 socks if it's exceptionally cold.

Master
    12.5 mile/2000 ft run today - Ambleside/Skelwith Bridge/Little Langdale/Elterwater/Ambleside - 2.22 - constant drizzle and very wet underfoot - soaked to the skin when finished - apart from my feet, which were completely dry in my new Dexshells. None of that discomforting hot body/cold feet post run sensation, particularly in the shower. I wish I had known about these socks years ago.

Super Moderator
    Wool socks and fun a bit faster. Have you ever seen a sheep complaining about cold feet?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I'm with you DT. Wool is warm when wet.
    More mile Vermont - 3 pairs for £10 when on offer. Can't beat them