Thread: Saunders 2019

Saunders 2019

Just received an email outlining the new Saunders format for 2019. No KLETs class, Scafell is back as a linear solo or pairs class, with Fairfield as the score class.
    Numbers on the Klets have been down in the last few years, but the class has such a great history and the format is a true test of navigational ability and planning.

Initial feedback for the organisers is that if enough people ask for KLETS to be reinstated they will consider. Contact details are SLMMOrganiser at gmail.com

Yes, if you care please email the organisers. A number of us already have and we are hoping they might keep the KLETs it’s a unique class to 5is MM and a special bit of history. To my mind there is no need for all MMs to be the same, in fact I would rather they were not

Master
    I've suggested that they keep the KLETS and make it open to pairs as well.

So they have decided. No KLETS despite our pleas, shame to lose the historic and unique course. Not sure what class I will enter now

Just found out that this year's SLMM is in the Howgills! How has that happened? SHMM?
    Am Yisrael Chai

So, who was there this year? And what did you make of all that contouring? My feet were so sore by the end! Anyway, there's one thing I can say for certain about those steep sided valleys in the Howgills - they are VERY steep!

Well done to Pennine's Jack and Luke (Luke - "I've never run for more than 3 hours before"), who stormed to victory in the Fairfield Pairs Class (Score). I found day 2 especially hard going, but my awesome wife managed to drag me round.

Karen - good to see that you finished the Scafell Class despite your injury concerns.

It was another great event, again with a holiday camp atmosphere at the mid-camp with everyone sat around in the sunshine drinking beer.

I'd echo the sore feet situation. We managed to avoid it by and large on the Saturday (Kirkfell), but got plenty of it on Sunday. Really not pleasant!

Great event as usual with some interesting route options, though obviously the clear weather simplified the nav somewhat. We made the serious mistake of running out of water halfway round on Saturday and ended up east of the road with very little water available. Diverted to the tarn just below Wild Boar Fell for a big drink!
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    So, who was there this year? And what did you make of all that contouring? My feet were so sore by the end! Anyway, there's one thing I can say for certain about those steep sided valleys in the Howgills - they are VERY steep!

Well done to Pennine's Jack and Luke (Luke - "I've never run for more than 3 hours before"), who stormed to victory in the Fairfield Pairs Class (Score). I found day 2 especially hard going, but my awesome wife managed to drag me round.

Karen - good to see that you finished the Scafell Class despite your injury concerns.

It was another great event, again with a holiday camp atmosphere at the mid-camp with everyone sat around in the sunshine drinking beer.
    Good to see you and Sue, and very well done on 4th pair!
    My feet were a wreck even from early on Saturday - from just before I saw you. I've a huge blister on the side on one foot. I opted to avoid contouring where possible after that!
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    Good to see you and Sue, and very well done on 4th pair!
    My feet were a wreck even from early on Saturday - from just before I saw you. I've a huge blister on the side on one foot. I opted to avoid contouring where possible after that!
    Thanks Bill.

I thought my blisters had all healed. But I was marshalling on Seatallan on Saturday and, as I walked up Nether Beck, I soon realised the one on my big toe was still there. Ouch!

Cracking event, a much nicer, more relaxed and less commercial feel than certain other mountain marathons, although my ankles didn't enjoy the contouring!

We spent both days on the Kirkfell course back and fourth with the pair that set off 3 minutes behind us. We finally got rid of them on the last descent at the end of Saturday and they came in 1 min 30 behind us. That meant they set off 1 min 30 ahead of us Sunday morning, and with the first checkpoint to the south of Randygill Top they set off towards Cautley Spout, but as soon as we set off and started straight lining it around the east they cut back across to join us and we spent all of Sunday toing and froing again. They eventually broke away when we bonked, and we finished in 5th. Congratulations should be given to Megan Wilson & Chloe Haines winning outright on the Kirkfell course by 30 minutes.

What's the secret with the milk? Some people were picking up 6 pints on the Saturday night. I realise it's a good recovery drink, but 6 pints!!