Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hadrian’s Hundred

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    gej I don’t understand what being said. Why exactly is the RRR50 not longer acceptable as a qualifier for the LDWA 100?
    I agree that it is not very clearly worded, but what they are saying is that no event that has a time limit of less than 20 hours for 50 miles can be considered as a qualifier.

Super Moderator
    So RRR50 is ‘too fast’ ie in effect not a walkers’ event?

I had a good chat with a guy at the end of the Red Rose 50 and he was saying a difficult one, like the Red Rose 50, is a better indicator to your ability to do the 100, I hate to use the word "easy" for a 50 mile event, but I guess the RRR50 is not difficuly enough, I believe it is has a lot of road and not as much climbing as other 50 mile events.

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    There has been some debate on the LDWA forum, but I guess FRA folk are more likely to want to use a non-LDWA event as a qualifier?
    My brother managed to get into the North York Moors 100 by accident (the guy could not use SiEnteries properly). With being based in Ireland, John tried to use the 137Km Wicklow Way race as a qualifier, but was not allowed because the cuts offs were much too tight for somebody to walk it, so it would be unfair to walkers.

If they allowed non-LDWA events then the there would be too many ultra runners qualifying, whereas the LDWA is primaryly a walking organisation.

John flew over for the weekend in September to do the Red Rose 50 so we are OK for next years hundred.

Interesting; have never worried about being too fast before. Can’t remember which events Bob and I used but we did do Red Rose 50 and Fellsman

Unhappy Start time for run/walk

I'm supposing as close to 2 pm start would be best. Say get to Carrigill (CP5) around midnight. Spend three hours hiking up to Greg's Hut and have dawn on Summit of Cross Fell :-)

It be nice to have High Cup Nick / Gill later in the morning..
    Quote: "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

I had a DNF on this over the weekend, retired at CP10, 125 Km in. The feet were sore and I was going very slowly but not enough to stop me going on, really the main reason was, I just was not enjoying it anymore. The weather Saturday night, and Sunday was crap but that can't be helped. My main problem was over 100 miles there were some amazing sections but there was a lot of rubbish sections as well. As a fell runner, I find the LDWA are very relaxed about using bridle ways and roads (there was an eight mile section on a road coming up soon after I retired), which I just don't really enjoy. Basically it is not really my sort of event.

The good outcome from this was I done the fellsman as a training run and even though that had much worse conditons, I loved it.

Alwyn Nixon, who I used to race against (fell races) back in our days of youth is a long time member of ldwa. He is around my age, 60+.
    He did the Hadrians 100 marshalls walk and came in first, 2 weeks later (tapering nicely) he did the Dragons Back race and completed that on Friday night at about mid pack, then made it back up to the 100 to do a 16 hour shift on the South Wales checkpoint.
    Now that is impressive stamina!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

South wales was where I retired, it was great with the big screen showing old rugby matches, pity I was not in a better state of mind for it but I was sat there shivering, waiting for the broom wagon.