Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: run faster down hill

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I remember when I was orienteering I read an article by Gareth Bryan-Jones in which he advocated "5-yard memory": instead of watching the ground under your next step, keep your eyes on the ground about 5 yards ahead of you. I never got further with this than making a conscious effort to do it for a while, and then forgetting and lapsing back into watching where I was going to plant my next footstep; but it certainly did improve my running over rough terrain while I was doing it. Obviously I should have practised it until it became automatic.

Although it was recommended in the context of running through rough orienteering terrain (typically forest), I think it would also apply to downhill running.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I remember reading in a copy of Trail Runner mag that was knocking about that Killian suggested closing your eyes for a few seconds on a track descent to try and help feel/terrain reading skills. Not sure if he was taking the piss though...

What I would say is when you reach the top of the hill, take the first 20s or so quite easy ("float" pace) to take a few deep breaths and try and reverse the oxygen debt a bit and the legs striding out, before giving it some stick
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

At DOMINAFIT we have a product that definitely helps on downhill runs. Keeps the ankle stable on spot without fear of injuring it and yet allows you the full mobility. Welcome to check it out.

Dominafit is a trademark brand name of several top quality sport products.

Our moto is: Only the fittest dominate!

Many ailments, activities, and injuries can lead to ankle pain in athletes. Ankle pain can be mild like discomfort or a sprain, or it can be something more debilitating and chronic such as arthritis or a break. For athletes, ankle pain can take them out of the game or put them at an increased risk for overuse injuries and re-injury.

Several statistics show that ankle pain and injury is the most common injury. These injuries are most likely to occur when an athlete is involved in sports or other recreational activities such as skateboarding, hiking, and playing outside.

One of the complications of an ankle sprain is long-term ankle pain and instability. This is the concern for anyone who has suffered an ankle injury. Recovery can be as quick as a few days, or it can take weeks if the injury is more severe. Remember: recovery IS NOT rehabilitation. Whatever the cause, the potential for chronic pain and instability is a big concern.

Therefore, gear is one of the most important considerations you can make to reduce or prevent ankle pain or injuries in youth athletes.
    Instead of complete rest, light mobility and movement is helpful (as long as it doesn’t increase pain) for removing swelling.
    Mobility is the ankle’s ability to move through the normal range of motion efficiently and effectively. Improving mobility helps avoid injury, it stabilizes the ankle, and it strengthens the foundation.
    Once pain has improved, it is crucial to acclimate the ankle to sports stress.

All the above mentioned factors, we did take into consideration at DOMINAFIT to create a perfect product for the ankles of every athlete, Ankle Brace Compression Support Sleeves. They can be used both as prevention of ankle (re)injuries as well as for faster recovery from injuries due to better stability and blood circulation, reduced swelling and instant pain relief function. Our product keeps your ankles tightly on spot while assuring complete mobility and comfort at the same time. In addition, the material is according to high quality standards and completely breathable, preventing sweating for dry and odor free feet.

Our Ankle Brace Compression Support Sleeves by DOMINAFIT are available to be purchased here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HZ45X7C?th=1

Welcome to choose your own pair among 3 different color designs and 4 different sizes and test them out!

Super Moderator
    Nah, practice

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Nah, practice
    Back in the day when I was racing regularly, my buddy and I used to always say, "You can improve your ascending with training; but not your descending. The only way to improve your descending is by racing regularly and going head to head with those around you - who are equally as mental as yourself."
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Super Moderator
    Good summary

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Back in the day when I was racing regularly, my buddy and I used to always say, "You can improve your ascending with training; but not your descending. The only way to improve your descending is by racing regularly and going head to head with those around you - who are equally as mental as yourself."
    Indeed. I have bored people for years with my "winning is a mental more than a physical process".

Every runner can run faster if they can release "mother lifts lorry weighing several tons to rescue her child" adrenalin - as in a lifetime rival coming up on one's shoulder within sight of the finish funnel.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    Agreed. Especially if the rival is old enough to be your mum / dad, or young enough to be your child